Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifted Truck Insurance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PROFESSORSK5, Jan 30, 2003.

1. PROFESSORSK5

PROFESSORSK5 Registered Member

I live in So. California and have a 89 K5 with a 4" lift and 35" tires. I am having trouble finding an insurance company to insure me. I left State Farm because they are very incompetent and tried the General who cancelled me. I have tried AIS, Century 21 and some others and as soon as I tell them the truck is lifted they will not insure me. So if anybody knows of a good insurance company that insures lifted trucks please let me know.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have Mercury now. They never have seemed to have cared about the big tires and such...

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Heres an idea dont tell them you have a lifted truck. I have AAA and they never cared yet, in fact I love the looks i get when a 19 year old teen pulls up in a noisy, dirty, 8 inch lifted truck rollin on some 38's.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I go through a company called "ABIA". They have never asked, so I haven't told them.

John

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You might want to try another State Farm agent. I've had good luck w/ them. Insured 2 different lifted trucks w/ them.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have State farm on everything. NEVER have been able to beat the price for the same coverage. My insurance agent is literaly at the enterence to my Neighborhood. He's seen my truck and infact I wanted to be sure I had everything properly covered if it were ever to be stolen. He and I went over the whole truck in his parking lot and made a list of all the upgrades. Never gave me a bit of grief and put it all in my folder. Insurance never changed. My truck stands 7ft tall on 35's. He's even going to cver my CTM's and Warn shafts if it were to be stolen.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Similar location and experance w/ my State Farm agent. As long as it is a part of the truck they were OK w/ it. No coverage on spares, tools, or recovery gear, though.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yep but that can be covered on home owners.

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i ahad progressive when i lived in cali and they never asked if it was lifted or not.

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i ahad progressive when i lived in cali and they never asked if it was lifted or not.

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I'm 19 in so cal with 7'' of lift on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and AAA doesn't question it. I pay about $530 a year for liabilty with roadside assistance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have AAA and they don't care /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

13. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Not telling them about big mods is a good excuse for them to not cover you if you're in an accident or make a claim. I'm always specific with what I've got, down to truck caps and bug deflectors .. when it asks for modifications, I give them a list

14. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

My dad and I both use state farm, he has a ranger lifted 6" and I have my lifted k5 and a lifted CJ7. They have never asked about them being lifted. I even had mine in to get inspected after a break in and after hail damage and they never did anything about the lift. I live in MN, not sure if that makes a difference

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I had AAA... and got ran off the road by a logging truck in Idaho. It ruined my transmisson. They didn't give a crap about the mods when dealing with an accident and covered the repair less my deductable... they are awesome in this aspect....

But here's the kicker... if you don't tell em about your mods, they won't cover em if you get stolen. If you tell them all you have they will make you pay more. So you might pay less for not telling them, but you will pay more if you get stolen... I found this out the hard way when I got broke into and $2500 in stolen things and damage and got back $650 from them. They were only going to give me $400. I got my deductable waived because it took them 4 months to issue the check so they were making it up to me... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i pay $400 a year for my luv! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif(luv wins the cheapness war yet again!). Try GE auto insurance they seem to perty good. They actually gave a reasonable rate for the heep wrangler we have.

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have a good friend that sells insurance in the Northern OC area. I know he could get you a insurance, won't BS you like most others will, and you will most likely pay less then you did before. PM me and I'll get you his #.

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Im here in the East Bay and I havent had a problem with State Farm.

19. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    (luv wins the cheapness war yet again

[/ QUOTE ]

I beat ya- $257.00 for 12 months of coverage- just got the bill in the mail today- mine is also listed with all aftermarket equipment, never had a problem, when I installed the new stereo, I called up and gave them the information...nothing changes...

I'd agree with everyone else on here, make sure they know what you have. You could have $6K in mods, have your truck get stolen, and your gonna get KBB value- which aint much!

Also- insurance doesn't really go by "dangerous" vehicles, the majority of it is the cost to replace/repair it... Our 'vette wasn't much more than my suburban for full coverage per year...I think it was about $200 more per year...

Brandy

20. 72BlazerTravis

72BlazerTravis Registered Member

I have state farm and I think I pay $19.00 a month for liability with roadside service. They told me flat out that though my '72 has 4 icnhes of lift and 33 it's not worth having full coverage on it. You'll only get the book value from it when it gets totalled/damaged etc. Which would more than likely be less than a grand. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif