Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifted trucks and Headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88-383, Nov 16, 2005.

1. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Here's a question for those in the know!

Currently my truck isn't lifted but I plan on doing a 4" lift very very soon. I'm thinking of going with the Dough Thorley tri-y's.

My question is would a 4" suspension lift change anything? or am I missing something here. I mean, if you put a 4" kit on K5 do you have to change the y-pipe? or would this only apply to a body lift?

Thanks

KM

2. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

The reason I'm asking is because Summit has the headers for lifted and non lifted trucks. I only want to buy one set of headers.

KM

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hmm im not sure, the only place it would hit would be the shackle?? im not really sure. i didnt know there were different headers for lifted and non lifted.

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Just thinking out loud here but when you do a suspension lift the lift is in the suspension and the engine, trans etc doesn't move. On body lifts the body is spaced off the frame more and no engine movement. I don't see how a lift of any sort would affect the headers unless there is some sort of interference with the lift bracketry.

5. muddybuddy

those were my thoughts to. i know that some people on here complain about fitment with various brands, but i dont think a lift would make it worse...but whta do i know, i still got the stockers on for now

6. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

I had the same thoughts as well, then I called tech-support for Dough Thorley headers. The guy there told me that the y-pipe is the main difference. Could it be that that full length headers have to clear something? axle perhaps?

Here's a Link to their website. About 1/2 way down check out the 73-91 Blazers/Jimmy etc... I was kinda surprised there was a difference myself.

Does anyone else make a kit with full length headers and a y-pipe that will bolt up and slip onto the stock cat/location? I'm thinking of going with this kit,high flow cat and the flowmaster cat back. But I'm open to ideas!

KM

7. muddybuddy

maybe the headers are angled down more for the lifted ones so that the y-pipe doesnt hit the front driveshaft. but with 4" of lift that should be a concern

8. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

i had headers on before doing my lift, and after, no problems, but i also run straight pipes with no y or H pipe, so it may be for that clearance.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

from my understanding, it is just the y-pipe that is different... headers are the same.. its a driveshaft clearance issue..

10. ShitownK5er

ShitownK5er 1/2 ton status

since the y-pipe goes under the front driveshaft when you lift it there could be some clearence problems