Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifted!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jan 30, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

...[​IMG]

2. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

dammit the precious cables... That would take down like 3 blocks and make my life a living hell for atleast 6 hours.

3. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Saw one like that in Detroit about 5 years ago. It was an end dump that hit a 12kv powerline on a paving project. They had a spotter watching for the lines crossing the streets, and he ran the truck right into the lines. His biggest problem was he was touching the truck when it hit the lines, the electricity went through his arm, into his body and out his boots. The spotter was supposed to have lived but was really f**cked up. The driver was ok. The end dump trailer was repairable, but the kenworth T-800 tractor pulling the trailer was totaled. The electrical fried everywhere, it stunk of burnt wiring. It had 10 flat tires and the engine wouldn't turn over. The shop where it was at told me they didn't know if problem was in the engine or tranny. Don't think they really cared either.
    George

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if that picture isn't in motion....thats a strong ass pole

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I came reaaaal close to doin that the first day I was driving the dump truck at work. It took me a little while to calm down and drive the thing after that.

6. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Check out that flex! :eek1:

:haha::haha:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Truck here did that...

A semi dump truck hit the wires on the highway in front of my house when Wal-Mart was being built..a truck left the construction site after dumping his load of gravel,and forgot to disengage the PTO for the dump body..and the dump body rasied up as he drove away,and it snagged the wires..:eek1:

The truck was barely moving when it first made contact..the driver felt the truck holding back,and he figured it was just the fact he was taking a sharp corner..he floored it and shifted several times before other cars at the intersection honked and flashed their headlights ..the truck was lifted off the ground ,just like Dontoe's picture..until some guy wires snapped...then it came crashing down,and all the wires and poles in a 1/8 of a mile did too!..we had no power for nearly a whole day..:mad: ...

I saw a similar disaster right across the street from my house..a new modular home was constructed,and one saturday afternoon that we had severe thunderstorms,the contractor decides to go ahead and do the landscaping anyway,despite monsoon rains..:screwy: ..cant give those workers a saturday off you know..:surepal: ..

A 18 wheeler dump truck pulls up and backs in right beside the house..he raises the dump body..just as it almost reached the top of the pistons stroke,the entire dump body leans away from the house!..and I watched as if in slow motion,as it twists sideways and bends the trailers frame 90 degrees like it was taffy,and the entire load spills..:eek1: ..very lucky the guy guiding the truck in was able to run out of the way,and that it did not topple onto the house instead!..the tires on the trailer were pointing skyward,and the Mack hauling it never flinched!..didn't damage the truck at ALL!..:eek1:

My neighbor and I watched for 3 hours,as they struggled to clean up the mess..they had another 18 wheeler dump truck,and another Mack hauling a huge Trackhoe come to the scene,and more guys in a pickup truck who had 2 sets of torches!..they cut the frame of the trailer up,put the peices in the other dump truck(axles,tires,and all:p: ) with the excavator!..then they hoisted the dump body that ripped off due to wet sand that didn't slide out when the bed was raised,and lifted it RIGHT OVER the power wires and poles,and onto the flatbed the excavator came in on,using only 2 3/8" chains!:eek1: ..all in a pouring down rain thunderstorm..those guys earned their pay THAT day!..:bow:

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where did the pic go???

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Let me tell you what's scary: hanging off one of those poles with a strap and boot spikes while the pole's being bent over when something like that happens several feet away! :yikes: My dad's experienced that. It was years ago however, but it did happen, and only his ability to whistle really LOUD saved him.

10. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

those poles are cranked deep into the ground and are all made of softwood so they bend pretty well. Im about as big as a dump truck and i go up and down them atlest 20 times a day :haha:

Our lines always get tagged by garbage trucks and fire trucks going down the backlanes. Dumpster fires are the number one cause for cables breaking though.

Its usually our undergrounds that get cut at construction sites. They never learn to call before they dig. Last year a contractor in a back hoe cut through the main fibre that feeds the whole northern half of the province, and it was down for about 6 hours. I can just imagine what that bill looked like.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

That's what he gets for driving a 13 letter chit spreader....hahaha

12. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

thats also why its illigal to drive with a running front end loader on a trailer.
    trailer bounces as do handles and all of a sudden your buckets up and doing 60 into a overpass. seen it happen but it was cool at the time.