Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifter adjustments

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin'Grrl, Mar 30, 2000.

1. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

I'd like to adjust the lifters in my Blazer, because it has a lifter pinging somewhere.....I really couldn't tell you if it's manual or hydraulic, but it's an '83 w/a 305, engine is all stock.....Can someone email me some instructions, or do I really need to buy a shop manual? (yep, I'm cheap, I don't want to pay $14.00 for a book)

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

2. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Gee, if only I had my manual I could tell you.LOL
    That book is SO handy! Even if you know everything in the world, you still need the book. It will save you $14 worth of TIME in one day. I think Haynes is best, but Chilton has some things they dont cover.(Maybe they have it at used bookstore)

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>harder, faster, longer, stronger</font color=blue>

3. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I'd give it to yah but it might be diff for your year 305. I did mine last year. Go to the library and look it up if you don't want to spend the money on a book; though Danger's right, it'll eventually pay for itself! You may already know this but you'll be looking up "valve lash" adjustment.

Lot's of folk here talk about going to the library to look this stuff up.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I really dont know how "by the book" this method is, but when I adjusted mine, I just removed the valve covers, started the truck and went one by one down the row of rockers. Start by backing the nut off until it starts really rattling, slowly tighten it until it just stops making noise, then tighten it 1/4 turn more. Do this to each one down the line. You have to do this with the truck running so if your oil system is good, you will make a huge mess. There will be oil everywhere! That is how I was told to do it, and I am sure there is a much more involved technical way of doing it but this way worked very well. And I am the first one for doing it as easy as possible... :)

Good Luck
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

5. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

FYI: I am a mechanic and the process is not that involved. First do not do it with the motor running because of the huge mess. Get your #1 cylinder to TDC and back up the nut for the rocker. Then with your fingers twist the rod and tighten the nut until all play is gone. Then depending on your mileage turn the nut between 1/4 and 3/4 of a turn more. I go with 1/2 turn accross the board. Once #1 is done rotate your harmonic balancer until #2 comes up to TDC and so one until all 8 are done. This is the best way to adjust your rockers. I hope this will help you.

6. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

You know, I forgot to mention the "while idling method." That works from what I was told by an ASE mechanic. What one might do is take an old set of valve covers and cut a rectangle through the top so you can reach the nuts but still have the oil be deflected back onto the top of the head.

Oh, Yeah, Haven't seen the contraption but there is also supposed to be some sort of plastic thing you can use with this method. It has caps (or something similar) that go across the valve train and direct oil back down to top of head. Maybe check some "real" parts stores (not Pr** Boys or TricK Auto) counter guys.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

7. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I don't know about Snidgen's method. I'm not doubting his mechanical skills, I just want to point out that the described method is not what GM says for my '86 305.

Look to your left and click on the attachment. This is the "by the book" procedure for 1985-1987 engines.

Hope this helps,<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

8. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

I've used both of the methods listed and they both seem to work. However, if I had really nice paint I would probably use the engine off method!

Good Luck....

Ray

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I know from experience that the method that Snidgen describes wont work if your motor has sat for a while. That is how my book says to do it, but when I rebuilt my motor I adjusted them according to this and the truck wouldnt start. The reason I figured out is that the hydraulic lifters were not pumped up with oil, so as soon as they pumped up by cranking the starter, the valves opened up and I had no compression. After farting with it for the afternoon trying to start it, I loosened the lifters off and it started right up. Also the hydraulic lifters will bleed down if they sit for a while and you will run into the same problem. And by the way, the method of rotating the engine until every cylinder comes to TDC sounds kinda more involved than doing it while you are idling. IMHO, there isnt enough of a mess to worry about, and Id rather have a bit of a mess than spend a whole afternoon avoiding one. But its up to you... [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

10. drifter

drifter Registered Member

If you decide to adjust your lifters with the engine running find your local snap on tool dealer, they have some brackets that clip on your rockers to deflect the oil down, i bought a set about 6 months ago when i adjusted my lifters. they work great and they only cost $6.00, money well spent!

11. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Saw the rocker arm oil clips at PEP GIRLS for like 8 bucks today. Had to hang out 3 hours while their underpaid slackers adjusted a bad tire on the work car.The running method is 10 times faster and the lifters don't bleed down like they will when shut off.

12. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a hard time adjusting the lifters with the truck off
    I have the 96 up Vortec motor if I go 0 lash + 1/2 turn the valve hangs open and truck won't start.
    What I did was get some valve covers and cut some 1 1/8 hole
    where the adjustment screws are Works great and not to much mess.

13. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

I went and bought the manual, but everything might as well be written in Spanish or something! So your advice is well appreciated! I'll let everyone know what happens when I try to do it :) wish me luck

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>