Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifter blocks, good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgetruck91, Mar 16, 2003.

1. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

I just want to start with a 2" lift, cna i do blocks in the front and the back?

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You can use blocks for the rear.
    Blocks for the front are dangerous.
    If you wanr a simple 2" lift, try a body lift. It will be the cheapest.
    -- Mike

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

just my opinion, but you sound new to this, or new to suspension issues. There is no reason to use blocks in the front, springs are not theat exspensive=no exscuse. I would hate to find out a blazer and his owner died because the cheap way out.

Companies such as bds and trail master make cheap lifts and they can be installed in a few hours and common tools.

I have both body and spring and I think the body lift id hardewr to do, it is really basic but after you deal with things such as shift linkages or gas filler hose the suspension is the better choice.

ask questions we are here 4 ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I just want to start with a 2" lift, cna i do blocks in the front and the back?

[/ QUOTE ] NEVER use blocks in the front !!!!! It's unsafe.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

It is my opinion that all blocks are unsafe. I guess after breaking the 2 inchers I had in the rear of my burb, at 40mph, and having the ride of my life, I get to feel that way. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The carnage from that happening took a while to repair. I guess the 388, the shift kit it the TH350, and my heavy right foot were too hard on the blocks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i ran 4" blocks in the rear of my Jimmy for a few years. IMO, if you arent going to abuse your rig too much, they are an ok way to get lift in the rear. never use them up front though.

j

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yes please don't be like the guy who entered top truck challenge with a front lift ath was just 4" blocks!

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

a 2 inch suspention lift is only a couple hundred bucks.they usually consist of add aleafs to get the 2 inches lift.if you want to use any kind of block i would get the zero rates offerewd by a couple of companies on this site.they bolt into the spring pack and essentialy become like an extra spring.they can be offset to help with pinion angles also.

9. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It is my opinion that all blocks are unsafe. I guess after breaking the 2 inchers I had in the rear of my burb,

[/ QUOTE ]

It's especially dangerous if you use UNTREATED lumber!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif