Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifter Noise on One Side of Engine Only

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, Aug 21, 2002.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi Folks...I've finally got my 1973 K5 Blazer going with a new motor and drivetrain. Well, most of it's new. Anyway, the custom built 383 that I put in the truck is having a weird lifter noise problem. I've tried adjusting the rocker arms three times so far, but the lifter "clicking" noise won't go away, and it's on the passenger side of the engine only. I did have a problem with the engine when I first installed it. The oil pressure kept dropping and I had to take it out and send it back to the engine builder. He told me that the oil pump was loose and that I pulled the engine before there was any damage so it was O.K. to re-install it. Before I go out and buy a new set of lifters, do any of you have a clue as to what the problem might be?

Thanks,
    Diana

2. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

could be lots of things,oil pressure problems?? how low at what rpm? a good rule of thumb is 10 lbs of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm's. As far as lifters I would say damaged lifter or piece of trash in it or it's not pumping up.Kind of a trial and error thing. But a 65.00 set of lifters is not much in comparison to a new stroker.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Sure it's not a header or exhaust leak? My truck makes a ticking noise because one of the cheap headers doesnt have an even weld on the mounting flange and leaks.

4. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi There...I've got plenty of oil pressure...60 PSI. You can only hear the lifter noise at idle. At higher speeds you can't hear it anymore. .I do have cheap Flowtech headers, though. The engine was made from a 1987 350 block with roller lifters and roller rocker arms, so a set of lifters will cost a bit more than $65 buck unfortunately...

Thanks,

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A small exhaust leak right at the head can make a sound that is VERY much like the sound of a clicking lifter. Make sure that the header gaskets are in place correctly, haven't burned through anywhwere, and that the header bolts are snug.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, I would put my money on an header leak also. I have had header bolts bottom out before they snugged up the header before.

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Would sticking your hand over the end of the tailpipe to increase pressure make the tick louder?

8. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i had the same problem...
    do yourself a favor and throw away those paper gaskets, get a tube of Ultra Copper for 5 bucks, and seal it up, if its clicking at idle only, its more than likely a header seal...i couldnt get my cheap dynomax headers to seal for months, someone recommended ultra copper, and it hasnt done it since....
    that stuff is so strong you can take all the header bolts off and the header sticks to the block, one twist from the bottom and it pops off, but if its strong enough to hold the header on the block, it should seal fine if you apply a good amount of it...
    one tube and i was able to do both headers, and i even coated the gasket at the collector with it

9. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

ouch yeah quite a bit more than 65.00.... I would be suprised if it was a lifter that's not real common ecspecially with new lifters, the exhaust sounds like a good bet....good luck