Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifter noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bwalkerc2, Nov 14, 2005.

1. bwalkerc2

bwalkerc2 Newbie

I've got a 1998 k1500 with a 5.7 vortec. Yesterday out of the blue I cranked the engine and it started tapping bad. After a two to three minutes of running, the noise went away. I know that it is a lifter that making the noise on the driver's bank side. I cranked it again this morning and the same thing. My question is should I replace the lifters or could it be trash in the lifter? I'm leaning towards replacing the lifters since it starts tapping after sitting awhile and then clears up. I priced the lifters and I am definitely suffering from sticker shock ($226.00). Also how hard is it to replace these on this truck?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

You can get this oil additive stuff at AutoZone or Kragen, that suppossed to help noisy sticky lifters. Comes in 1 quart bottle. Works pretty good, I use it alot in my 63 Mercury.

Replacing...if eveything is in good shape you may be able to just pull the valve cover, and rockers. Pull out pushrod and use a telescoping magnet to replace the lifters. Tho all the times Ive done it on a "V" motor I pulled the intake.

3. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I don't see how you can pull a lifter through a pushrod hole?

Try running some ATF in there for a little while and change the oil. It worked on the olde 70 k-5 we had. Probably just some gunk build up in the engine ad the ATF will clean it out since it is a detergent fluid.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

when's the last time the oil was changed,,,mine will do this if it gets too old :p:

or low on the level

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I'd say replace them. It is an easy job and that way you can get an idea of whats going on inside by inspecting them for unusual wear, etc.

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Hopefully they won't be mushroomed. Then they have to come out the bottom :(

You can still pop them out the bottom if they're mushroomed, remove the oil pan and cam, and push them out, reach up and grab the lifter if it didn't hit the floor, may require moving the crank around a bit to get the lifter out.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Before you spend time or money on trying to get a lifter unstuck, check to make sure that your oil filter has an anti drainback valve. Also, are you running thick or really old oil now that it's starting to cool off for the winter? Before you do the transmission fluid trick, try just an oil change and AC Delco filter.

8. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

My truck has also started doing this since its gotten cold, mine does it until the oil pressure gets up to normal then it goes away. I figured it just meant I needed to adjust a valve. I just put a cam and lifters in it no more than 2 months ago. Lucas oil is the additive you put in oil to quiet lifters down or raise oil pressure in older engines. I always run a quart in my 73. Thicker oil will help too. I usually run 10W-40 but im trying 20W-50 for the first time now, I havent come to a conclusion with it yet. You can try to adjust the valves and pinpoint which one it is then, if it wont adjust out, the cam lobe or lifter is worn out.

9. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Sorry I was thinking of another engine... An old POS non Chevy. I would think that since yer motor is not that old getting them out shouldnt be too bad. Tho I have in the past had to make a little slide hammer and weld onto the lifter to get 'em out. It had also flattened out the cam.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I think it's very interesting that someone posts up a simple question, like a simple lifter tick at start-up,,,and the first thing everybody wants to do, is say,,,,REBUILD IT or start replacing lifters and cams and whatever,,,,forget about the fact that oil may be old, or too thin for weather temps or anything simple,,,,jump right in and tear it apart.

my engins has 240,000 miles on it,,,every now and then it ticks at start-up,,,not all the time, oil is either old, cold out in the morning, or needs some oil added,,,smokes at start-up, but runs strong, never gives me any grief about a ticking lifter that only happens once in awhile...

i dunno, not trying to start anything here, just think it's interesting as to what kind of help you think you sometimes get from peeps... :D

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

oil too thick??

If you run 20W-50 or add Lucas ,or any other "oil thickener" it will be very thick upon a cold startup,and might take several seconds for it to pump up to the lifters and rockers before they finally quiet down..in temps below 20* I'd switch to 10W-30 or even 5W-30 if your motor is fairly "tight",and doesen't have 200 thousand on it--and maybe skip the Lucas during the winter.. :rolleyes: ..lighter oil pumps faster when cold,and prevents that annoying and worrysome ticking and clatter a cold motor makes after sitting many hours in the cold..all motors do it sometimes though..

I've used 20W-50 year round in older trucks with "loose" motors (with 250,000 miles!)..they made a few scary noises the first 20-30 seconds when it dipped below 20*,but I was careful not to rev them up right away..never had any failures,despite the greusome sounds they would make until they ran awhile..thinner oil would have been better I suppose.. :p: ..

Many small blocks and straight sixes I had were noisy due to loose pistons and/or wrist pins in the morning until they warmed up--then they would remain silent all day after that..they did it no matter what oil I ran,or what I added to it..next day,the cycle started all over again.. :rolleyes:

12. bwalkerc2

bwalkerc2 Newbie

Just an update. Pulled the lifters and found three bad. Had to replace all lifters (OUCH). Very expensive with them being rollers. Anyway thanks for all the help.