Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifter not pumping up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justhorsinaround, Apr 14, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

So here I am all happy with the motor it's quieting down, running smooth and producing plenty of power and now today I hear that annoyin whack, whack, whack for a second or two at startup.

Lifter not pumping up? Right, wrong? Any backyard redneck fixes? I really can't tear into this motor as I don't have a backup vehicle running. Plenty of non running ones though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks in advance and good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

What weight oil are you running, if you are running a heavy oil, try a lighter weight, might pump up faster /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would check rocker nut adjustment and if still is ticking then something else is wrong,bad lifter or oiling system problem or something else

good luck

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Wen Ihad ticky lifters on one of my vehicles years ago , a mech. friend of mine just put in a litre of auto tranny fluid
    He said it would free up any deposits causing lifters to stick
    Then change the oil in a day or two
    I don't remember what ATF. he used though.
    This might help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The Ontario redneck method LOL

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Allan.....if the lifter is dirty (if the oil is really nasty) try changing your oil and filter, replace one quart of oil with ATF like was mentioned above, ATF is high in detergent and can help clean out the engine. Change the oil again after its dirty or in about 500 miles. There are other ways to clean out an engine if its severely dirty as well. If the rocker adjusting nut has loosened it would tick at high RPMs and when idling even when the engine is warm. If the lifter is worn you can add a good quality friction reducer (not STP) to help until you can replace the cam and lifters. Not sure what weight oil you use but try a 10W-40 or 10W-30 if you are using heavier than that. It may help the lifter pump up faster at cold starts. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well now it's gone again. Started it several times today and no whack. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Anywho's thanks for all the suggestions and I'll remember if it starts whackin again. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan