Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifter Problems EDIT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jul 21, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Had to edit after discussing it again w/ my dad.. sry not to up on the lil details of the motor!

Well.. i was doing a hill climb.. and then i didnt make it, rolled back down and i heard tick tick tick tick tick,, i said ****,,, valve.. but then it sounded more like header gasket, so i replaced that wasnt it. Today my dad came over and we took the valve cover off.. it seems to be the #2 cylinder, we were playing around w/ the torque on the rocker arms and it went away for a second then would come back. My dad is saying prob a lifter thats messed up. This motor was supposed to have only "30k" on it according to my friend who i bought it off, it was a crate in 96. Sat for a while, bla bla anyways, what are my options, some cost ideas.

My dad was saying if i killed a lifter, and have to take the heads off might as well do a head job etc. I dont know much about the cost or what u can and cant do in this kinda situation. If it was gonna cost me like 600bucks to do head work, and risk some other part of the motor going i might as well get a crate? sry for the long rant, just kinda lost on what to do. any ideas? advice?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Never heard of a "sucked" valve. If a keeper breaks the valve could drop into the cylinder...which usually sounds a lot uglier than 'tick, tick, tick'.:D

I'd suspect possibly a rounded lobe on the cam, or possibly a rocker stud pulling out of the head. Both fit the description...

Rene

3. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

thats what it sounds like to me to.
    I think if a vavle got sucked in to the head you would have a really nasty sound and a bent push rod.

did you notice if it is higher up then all the other rockers.that would mean you pulled the stud.pull the intake manifold and check the lifters for some smashing

4. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

the lifters are in the block under the intake manifold and you don't have to take the heads off to get to the lifters

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

in simple terms...

lifter bad, cam lobe flatened, metal in the engine, engine needs to be rebuilt. Sorry!