Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifter valley cast flash?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Aug 15, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Is this stuff anything to worry about?

Not sure if it's a casting leftover or what, I tried to chip the stuff off with a screwdriver, won't move. It's the little dark spots you see in the lifter valley.

[​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Pic didn't work for me so I saved it and uploaded it. Looks like left over oil gripe/slag from the pic... Is that a brand new block or a hot tanked block?

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yeah, I should have previewed, I screwed it up the first time. SHould be ok now, but thanks.
    Anyhow, so do I need to get this off somehow? I've already installed the crank and pistons, so I really don't want to be grinding. It was hot-tanked.

It used to look like this, but that stuf just flaked off the second it was disturbed:

[​IMG]

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

While you have it down to the bare block , if you wanted to you can take a Dremel and clean the spots , and the casting flash , and radius the drain back holes .

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would also install galley screens, could save alot of damage down the road......................................

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

a dremel would probably work but might take along time. when i debured my motor i used a air die grinder with a 1 in. cut length carbide ball end rotery bit, 1/4 shank. comes in different sharpened grind cuts for different material removal rates. there the same kind of bits you use to port a head with.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

DOes take forever ..... I never used to have an air grinder :wink1:

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Use something hard like a punch (but don't put a whole lot of force on it!) and see if it breaks off. I've seen that type of stuff in blocks before, always broke off for me, it's almost like sand and molten metal mixed in that area when it was cast.

I'm sure it's not going to hurt anything if it's in that hard, but in the ones I've dealt with, it comes out fairly easy if you hit it right.