Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifter valley oil baffles, PRO's and cons...any experience with them?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Mar 3, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Lifter valley oil baffles, PRO\'s and cons...any experience with them?

Just got one on ebay for the new motor and wondering if they are as good as they seem and would like some in put on these....THX

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Re: Lifter valley oil baffles, PRO\'s and cons...any experience with them?

Depends on the design. They are usually intended to keep hot oil off the intake manifold to help lower the temp of the air and fuel.

3. twenty_below0

this is made by moroso or milodon I think and attaches with these round spring type curles that catch the bottom of the head under the intake, like they sell in summit. Are they a good accessory or just a gimmick?

4. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

These are good for keeping the intake cooler & will also keep the lifters in their bores during valvetrain failure. I frequently use these in my hi-performance car engines. They do make a small difference in inlet air temps but unless you run blocked exhaust heat passages in the intake, they are a waste of money. Blocking the intake heat sometimes makes driveability suffer during cold weather/cold start conditions but is worth a few HP.
    Lonnie

5. twenty_below0

That's what I wanted to hear, some good straight forward info, so could you expand some for me on the blocking port info and how to do this,...... what kind of poor characteristics do you mean, like hard starting, and with an electric choke will this be eliminated,..... I am interested in doing this possibly, mail me if you like. THX Mike

6. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Some intake gasket sets come parts to seal of the heat ports. They are just a small piece of metal-about1.5"x2"-that block off the holes in the intake. I don't think it makes any difference in driveablility if you have the electric choke.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, I doubt it will be eliminated with a choke. The exhaust gas crossover really helps it warm up when it's cold outside.

The only way I'd be without it is if my heads didn't have the crossover.

8. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

With a stock intake or street type dual plane intakes, I generally use the exhaust heat riser restrictor plates in the intake gaskets if you plan to run in the winter. For a summer only performance engine, the blockoffs are usually fine. I currently run a Weiand Team "G" on my 427 & it has no heat riser passages in the intake. This usually works fine except at cold startup & on rainy days, it will idle terribly for the first 10 minutes until fully warm due to poor fuel atomization. A choke will not cure this problem. Drove it today & it was 11deg this morning. It also starts with no choke housing on the Holley carb. Just don't expect it to act like a stocker.
    Lonnie