Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifters and pushrods?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Why do all of the manuals say you have to mark each pushrod and lifter and reinstall them in the same location?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would guess it has to do with the way parts ware/brakein period of new parts together. You wouldn't want to reware/rebrakein the parts.?? Just a guess...

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

because they're anal /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif first of all if you are rebuilding a motor i would replace the cam and lifters

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah all to keep same wear spots together, like if you are doing new head gaskets or something then you would want to replace all the rods and lifters back in same locations they were in before you started.

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I don't understand the pushrods part unless they are bent or clogged inside, or you had some other You can put the pushrods in a drill press and you will easily tell if they are bent or not.

The cam0lobes are angled so they twist the hydraulic flat-tappet lifters. If these break-in incorrectly, premature cam-lobe and lifter result. So if you put a lifter on a different lobe (especially a left bank to a right bank) the wear will be incorrect, and can cause premature cam-lobe/lifter wear. This results in a flat cam.

Good luck.