Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Liftin a 91 burb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LaxRox5, Nov 5, 2002.

1. LaxRox5

LaxRox5 Registered Member

I have a 91 suburban and want to put 35s on it, but not sure what lift to run. I heard if you put a 4" lift on youll need to cut the wheel wells, but if you put a 6" lift on you will need to extend the driveshafts. I am not sure what to do any suggestions. I have contemplated even just getting a 2" lift and running 33X12.5 on it. I just need some input from people who have had these thoughts done this stuff or know people who have. Also, any pics of trucks lifted and with these tires owuld be great to help me decide. Thanks a TOn.

P.S. I have been lurkin a while and think this board is really great, and gives me some cool ideas.

2. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Go to the Suburban forum and check out what's going on there. You can fit 33's with no lift. That's what Chvyhs had at first, then he had 6" with 36's, now he's got 6" suspension with a 2" body lift and 38's.
    Here's a pic

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" suspension and 3" body on my 90' burban, and with 35's it hit but did not dent /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif my fender, it just bent the chrome trim on the lower outer part of the wheel well on one side. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I have 6" front springs, with 35" TSLs that measure an actual 33". Both front fenders on the back sides have a small crease in them, and this truck has not been wheeled hard. Fenders are uncut. As far as I could tell both shafts were unmodified. I had the front rebuilt due to slop in the slip. Rear has blocks with add-a-leafs, plan on istalling 6" springs and then the rear shaft most likely will need work.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

on my sub i have 4" springs and a 2" body with 1" shackles. total 7" and i run 36"s. no pics at that stage yet though. yeah go check out our suburban forum.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got a '90 with a 4" Rough Country System. I'm running 33" BFG's. No rubbing for me (Rough Country 4" is too stiff and tall to compress a 33 into the fender.) I didn't have to modify my driveshafts at all, or cut my fenders. I think my next tire-step-up will be to 35" and at that point I'll see whether or not I'll need to install a 1" body lift, or snip away at the fenders.
    For pics, click on the link in my signature.

7. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I put a 4" rough country lift in my 88 sub. I had to lengthen my front shaft 2" to get full travel out of the front axle. I know every truck is different and not everybody has had to lengthen theirs. Don't let it turn you off though. It was cheap ($75) and well worth it. I actually used a front shaft (lengthened 2") from an '01 dodge 1/2 ton pickup and used a custom front u-joint. This shaft gives me more driveshaft travel at the slip-yoke and at the upper joint. I plan on running 35" BFG with 1" body lift. A friend of mine runs this tire/lift combo with no problems as of yet. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

I had a 4" TC lift with 16.5-35-15 Boggers that measured a little taller than 35" on 12in wide wheels, that rubbed the corners of the front fenders while turning sharp.
    When i added another 1 inch to the suspension it cured the rubbing but when i swapped to 3/4 ton running gear i changed wheels and tires to 35-12.50-15s that measure 34" with alot a back spacing to clear the front rotors the tires rub again while turning.
    Also had to lengthin the frnt D Shaft, i used a slip yoke off a 1/2 ton rear D shft.
    I would go with the 4" and 35's the lift is about the same price, but it all depends on what kind of wheeling u do.
    I also ran 33's with no lift and they rubbed more than the boggers. Ill try to post some pics if i can.

9. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my 89 has 4" R/C lift. I put my 35" MTRs on just last night so I havent played yet, but I know Ill need to cut soon but for around town they dont rub. only thing I have done for the lift is replace the brake lines.hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif