Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

liftin the burb... what to do>????

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by LaxRox5, Nov 5, 2002.

1. LaxRox5

LaxRox5 Registered Member

have a 91 suburban and want to put 35s on it, but not sure what lift to run. I heard if you put a 4" lift on youll need to cut the wheel wells, but if you put a 6" lift on you will need to extend the driveshafts. I am not sure what to do any suggestions. I have contemplated even just getting a 2" lift and running 33X12.5 on it. I just need some input from people who have had these thoughts done this stuff or know people who have. Also, any pics of trucks lifted and with these tires owuld be great to help me decide. Thanks a TOn.

P.S. I have been lurkin a while and think this board is really great, and gives me some cool ideas

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well check out my sub, in the pics it's runnin a 4" and 36"s i cut my fenders but not much. a 4" and 35s looks good but if i were you i'd go with a 6". i'm about to move up to 6" springs. as far as fender trimming goes, it's not hard, kinda fun really. i've got pics of that in there too.

3. LaxRox5

ive heard if i run the 6" lift i will need to extend my driveshafts and its gonna cost me all my cash jus to go ahead and get the lift and tires... it will look funny for a while when im runnin around with a lift and 31s

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'm currently running a 4" HD Superlift w/ 36 x 12.50s. No fender trimming at all if only on the road. I did touch my left fender corner when I first took it off road. If you don't plan on much off road driving, 4" will be fine. As far as the driveshaft, you can typically go 6" on a Burb w/out lengthening. It is my understanding that >6" requires driveshaft mods. I'm quite certain that there are several people here @ COK5 that are more knowledgable than me, but this is just my $0.02.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm running 6" of suspension lift, 2" of body lift, and did some fender trimming to clear 38's. I'm going to get my drive shaft lengthed one of these days. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to do the driveshafts. Compared to most of the Subs around here I think mine sees a lot of freeway driving and and flexing off road and I haven't had any bad problems with mine. How much wheeling do you plan of doing? If you think you might want to go with bigger tires later get the 6" lift the first time.
    Here's a pic

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

4" on 31" tires doesn't look as horrible as it could. It looks a little dumb, but it's not like a 12" on 35" tires...I've seen that. I'll be on 31's when I'm done. I hope you don't mind me throwing a question in here...what about a 4" lift and a 2" body lift combined? Easy, equal to 6", should fit 35" tires well...??? Just to let you know, the big thing is wheels. 35/12.50 on an 8" wide rim will fit better on a 4" lift than if it's on a 10" rim because of the backspacing. I have a set of 35" BFG MT waiting, but I just need the lift and rims.

7. LaxRox5

Im runnin wheel wise right now Mickey Thompson Classic IIs they are only 8"... This wont be seein alot of wheelin, its gonna prolly be to look good, and after getting my paint and flames done the fender cutting options out... Another quesiton while talkin this lift, im looking for some mild tires to run when i do get the lift. Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

BFGoodrich A/T KO tires, good street manners, decent off-roading capability.

9. BanksBurban

BanksBurban Registered Member

I got a question. Can I fit 35's with no suspension lift and just Bushwacker cut-outs? It won't see any wheelin', it's my tow rig.

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I hope you don't mind me throwing a question in here...what about a 4" lift and a 2" body lift combined? Easy, equal to 6", should fit 35" tires well...???

[/ QUOTE ]i run a 4", 2" and 36"s just fine.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I got a question. Can I fit 35's with no suspension lift and just Bushwacker cut-outs?

[/ QUOTE ] probably not they don't give as much clearance as people think.

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

That sounds reasonable. Presently, mine sits stock on 33's with no problem. The bushwhackers open up wheelwells considerably.

12. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Well I'm running 35s on 6inch lift and I just had to limit up travel alittle and trim lightly to keep the contact down. I wheel mine alot so I'm using all the travel. I have yet to really see the cut outs on a burb to see really howmuch room. The big problem is the front fender (inner rear) Alot of this has to be cut out and then your use the cab fire wall and the well. I think the biggest I've seen on a stock which still looked good was a 33. If your going to try to squezze some fat meats then I'd look at the 1 inch zero rate add leaves. They can be installed front and rear and will give you just a little bit of cheap lift to cut down on the amount of cutting you do. As for the less agresive tire, Try the procomp alterains. They have a 50,000 mile warrenty and are one of the only tires with the new extreme weather rating (means never have to chain up) There function off road is still really good. You can put just about any tire on but in order to avoid cutting your going to have to limit wheel movement either side to side(turning radius) or up and down(wheel travel) /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif