Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifting 2wd sub

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89sub2wd, Mar 9, 2005.

1. 89sub2wd

89sub2wd Newbie

So i obviously have an 89 2wd sub that is in need of a lift. I prefer suspension lift but cannot seem to find any companies that make them. I have called all over and i am hoping that yall may know. Even if i had to piece my own together that would be fine if i just knew it would work. I am even toying with the idea of just putting a solid front axle under the front so i can just lift by rearching or getting custom leaf springs. What are yalls thoughts and what would be necessary if i need to do the swap and how hard. Thanks again. I am just trying to stay away from body lift if i can because i really want a 6 inch lift. Sorry for the long post, just trying to be as clear as possible.:laugh:

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i dont really understand why you want a 6 inch lift on a 2wd sub, but hey what ever Strokes you right....

Putting a straight axle under it, isnt really cost effective, youd be better off selling that burb and buying one that is 4wd...

3. 89sub2wd

89sub2wd Newbie

Well i know i would like a 4wd but i have already invested several grand rebuilding the motor and putting on a stainless steel exhaust on and besides my parents gave me the car so i dont really have the option of selling it. So i am just trying to work with what i have.

4. Silver84k5

well in that case..... I dont how handy you are with a wrench, or what kinda working conditions you have... but... a Body swap onto a rolling 4wd burb chassis could be an option... Although lifting a burb body might be a bit of a problem... got any tall trees, pulleys, and ropes?... I dont think your gonna find a 6 inch 2wd lift.

5. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

fabtech is about the only company that makes lifts for your sub
    they're website is www.fabtechmotorsports.com
    my brother has a 3" lift on his C10, gives the stance of a 4wd, but the ride quality of a 3/4 ton!

they make 3", 4", or 7" lift kits, and they cost a lot of $$$ (replace springs/spindles/upper control arms)
    i would only spend the money if you REALLY love the truck

6. Silver84k5

i stand corrected :grin: i am yet to see a lifted 2wd rig....

7. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

oh, and for the rear, i would say go shackle flip+lift springs to avoid huge blocks (again, not cheap)

though there is A LOT of debate about towing with a flip... read both arguments and decide from there if towing is a requirement for this burb

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

If it's a 1/2 ton there are a few differnt companies that make it. Fabtech being the most well known. If it's 3/4 ton, no one makes it. I looked into it when I got my 3/4 ton. Not sure if the 1/2 stuff will work in the 3/4 ton truck. May be worth looking into it if your that set on it.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

springs same dimension is 1/2 and 3/4, they are really super close in max load rating up front between 1/2 and 3/4, i know they are 100lbs different in 72 older but id have to check for 73 up and 81 up

only a couple places make taller front gm truck coils, they arent common and very few have been done,
    i havent seen any in person, but i know some 3/4 ton 2wd's sit up pretty damn high for stock, like camper specials, etc, maybe try and find a set of them ? or 1 ton coils ? they are all same dimensions, will swap in just fine

good luck

10. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

you can get a 3" lift spindle, and put in a 2-3" lift coils. might as well invest in good tubular control arm that have the ball joint area corrected so they arent at such extreme angles. Your tie rods will wear quick for the same reason. With a lift coil you will lose ALL down travel because the suspension will be max out. In the rear you could do 6" lift springs, or go with a 4" shackle flip and 3" lift springs.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Buy a 4wd with a blown motor. Switch the motor you have, exhaust, and body if you like. Should be cheaper than lifting a 2wd 6"