Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifting a gas tank with 1.5" body lift? Move brackets or shorter straps?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, May 1, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

lifting a gas tank with 1.5\" body lift? Move brackets or shorter straps?

I'm doing a 1.5" body lift. I remember awhile back people raising their tanks 3" for 3" body lifts. I have the tank and skid plate in the garage. I'm thinking the skid plate I can just trim the brakets and rebend them so the skid plate pulls up 1-1.5". What are the frame mods or strap mods do you have to do to lift the tank?

As always! PICS are a huge help /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. jjlaughner

Re: lifting a gas tank with 1.5\" body lift? Move brackets or shorter straps?

top come on someones done this?

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The tank fits up into a sort of pocket formed by the cross members. You'll have to cut them out and move them up to where you want them. Moding the straps and skid will get you nowhere. Both mount to the cross members and will go up along with them...

It’s not exactly “raising” the tank since my frame is a K30, but my cross members are mounted almost exactly 2” above the frame rails using simple brackets made of 2” x 0.250” angle iron. There is a tube/wire routing “notch” in the cross members already, and I just added 1/4" or so more notch to fit the upper lip of the frame channel into the cross member. Very easy…

4. jjlaughner

Cool deal I got up under the truck today (right after I TTT the post since I was thinking about it). I noticed the crossmembers and the curved mounting surfaces. I dont think I'm going to mess with the body lift right now unless I have clearence issues after the lift. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I have a btter idea of what it intels now though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my webshots has my pics. with a 2" body lift I was able to get 2.5" out of the tank. I had to cut the crossmember and then welded new ends to it and rebolted it to the top of the frame rail. I think I'm gonna reenforce the stock skid plate and tuck it up as high as possible.

6. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Could you cut the rivits from the cross members and then rotate them 180 degrees in order to slide the tank further up?