Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifting a siverado 2wd with dualies

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pulser9, Sep 4, 2006.

1. pulser9

pulser9 Registered Member

Ok my grandfather has a 87 i think 4 door 2wd with dualies silverado. He just had a rebuilt 454 put in it under 1000 miles ago. Well he realy has no use for it any more because he also has a 98 4 door silverado with dualies with a 454 and he just bought a 96 chevy 1500 with a 350 cus gas prices have been killing him. so he told me hed give me the 87 for real cheap. But I would only want it if i could do somthing rediculus with it. I was thinking about lifting it like 10 inches and runing 37s or 38s. I know ORU sells those daulie spacers and i think it says you can run up to 37s by 12.5 tires so thats what i would want to run. What i need to know is about wheels, where would i look for wheels for the dualies. Also Im almost positive its not IFS but would the front axle it has on it hold up to 37s by 12.5. One last thing is what springs would you sugest using. And what company makes dual smoke stack exaust that i could use.
    Any help or advise you have would be great.
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh my.

Umm, if it's a 2wd and a 3500, not a 3500hd, then yes it is IFS and good luck getting 10" of lift out of it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do you know Jersey lift laws? Cause 10" of lift is about 6" of lift over the law....

4. pulser9

I was almost positive NJ lift law is no tires over 38 inches and and they have that if your truck is lifted more then 6 inches over stock then your truck has to pass the stability test. I might be wrong but i was almost sure thats what it was, and they only do the stability test at 2 or 3 of the dmvs.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i seem to recall rootbreaker mentioning something about a 10,001# GVWR, and being exempt from lift laws. i may be wrong though. why couldnt you convert it to 4wd? that would make things much easier, and probably cheaper.

6. pulser9

converting it to 4wd and a solid front axle would be the ultament goal but i dont know if im up for that big of a project i have to decide

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well if your not up to that how do you plan on lifting it 2wd? The only kit I know of for 2wd's of that era is the fabtech setup and I think it's only for 1/2 tons. And it's a 6".

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Even if you find a kit to lift it that high, its going to be pricey since its IFS. If you convert it to atleast a solid front axle(and dont have a driveshaft to it if you want) you could easily save some money doing a solid front axle...

9. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I say buy, it yank the motor and rear end, sell the rest of the truck after swaping all of the good bits onto a blazer or short box.

10. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure if you find an axle for cheap you will be alot happier. go to a junk yard. find a t-case and a gm 10- bolt would be the most common since its used on 1/2 and 3/4 tons. also you can use pretty much any year axle till like 77. they can handle 37's. i ten inch lift then would be so cheap. also. isnt the 87 2wd's like that weird butterfly looking thing. its not the ifs like now a days right? its even crappier. if you dont want that big of a project. then shave it. chrome it. bag it. and put a loud a$$ system and go hit the car shows since that sounds like what you want to do anyways. but thats just me. sas and lifting it would be cheaper than you think and you can learn alot. and its really easy for these models. also, with all these guys swapping out their 10 bolts for d60's im sure you could get one for really really cheap if you ask around. and since your a noob like me to this site. dont be afraid to ask really stupid questions if your stuck. they dont know who you are. its great. and you learn so much from the veterans on this site. do it. lift it. turn it to 4wd. and wheel the hell out of it. but again thats just me.