Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting and fuel economy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Oblin Goblin, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

How much of a hit in fuel economy do you usually see after lifting your truck? I was thinking about a 2 - 3" lift for my Blazer and I was wonder how it would effect my milage. I'd be leaving the tires at 31-10.50 for now.

Also, is there a size rancho rs9000 shock I could get that would fit stock ride height and with a 2" lift? In case I want new shocks now but I can't do a lift for a while.
    Thanks

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If your tires are staying the same, you shouldn't see a change in MPG at all.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You will see a decrease in MPG since the bottom of the truck is higher. Now, your axles and everything else underneath are exposed to direct airflow so your truck will be less areodynamic, and require more force to motivate it. Thats why these trucks came with air dams from the facory, to direct air under all the undercariage components. Now that the chassis is lifted, the air dam wont be low enough to direct air like it used to</font color=blue>

[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-288682-mudpit3.jpg[/image]

4. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

K-5's have air dams? Where at? Nothing on the front of the truck looks like a typical air dam to me. Can the air dam be modified when the truck is lifted so it does what its supposed to again?

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Lifting and gas milage dont go together very well. If you lift expect to take a hit in highway milage. Because of the increased air resistance. Should'nt effect round town much.
    Yes some K5s came with factory air dams. My 89 has one on it now. They do help in gas milage.
    The stock 9000s should do ok on a 2" lift. I ran them on my other truck with a 2" lift with no problems but it was a Bronco.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe at least starting in '81, all trucks FROM THE FACTORY, had air dams. Now 15-20 years later, many have been broken and removed, but I'm positive every one from 81-up CAME with one.

There are conflicting ideas about the air dam's usage, (even cars that were only 5 inches off teh ground used them) but along with keeping air from under the truck, it also forces it through the radiator. Not a big deal on the trucks, since frontal area is already huge, but it can't hurt.

I've been running my truck without one for a few months, when I stop being lazy and bolt it on, I don't expect much to change. It cools fine without it, and still gets 10-15 MPG depending on driving conditions.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Mine's improved a little on mileage since I got rid of the ugly thing.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Total B.S. IMHO

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The air dam does work on my truck. I use my K5 pretty hard off road during hunting season so I remove the air dam and running boards so I dont tear them off. I loose about 1 to 2 mpg on the highway with them off.
    The air dam is not used to aid in cooling on the k5. They are used to keep turbulent air from getting underneath the vehicle and creating drag. Drag= gas milage loss
    Why do you think the big truckers use them? They do help.
    But on a lifted truck, even 2" they are useless. Also I dont think they help much if at all, unless you have overdrive.

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I agree with Thunder. If it is lifted, take the damn off and put it in your ever growing of usless Blazer parts. Any aerodynamic effects the damn may have offered on the stock vehicles is totally negated by a lift.

Derf00
    http://www.derf00.coloradok5.com
    "Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."