Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifting basics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by showmeburb86, Oct 9, 2006.

1. showmeburb86

showmeburb86 Registered Member

Noob so am starting from scratch. I would like opinions on best way to lift our 86 burb. Body, suspension, shackle flip. Maybe "best" is too subjective. What could I takle with limited knowledge and tools. Basic mechanical skills?

My son wants to put some bigger tires 32 on this otherwise stock burb.

Where should we begin the process?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For 32's you're already done...they fit with no lift.

Rene

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

is it for street and show, or off roading? How high? Does he care about ride quality? as much information as possible please :)

4. showmeburb86

right now it must be his daily driver. So street I guess. I don't think ride is all that important. But to me (dad) safety is. Info that I know about our burb; 10b front and rear 208 tcase with 261 gear. Don't know the gears front and back but willing to find out if someone tells me how and where to look. I think that this will be a project that progresses as he and I learn about off roading. So I would say that it needs to be driveable on street but with a "lifted" look and able to do some mild off roading at this point.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

To figure out the axle gear ratio, take the front or rear diff cover off. On the ring gear (the big gear in the axle) there will be a line of stamped numbers. It will say something like: GM, (then a line of about 7 random numbers), then 2 numbers such as 10 41 (to find the gear ratio, you divide the larger number by the smaller number), then 2 more numbers such as 7 86 (this is the build date 7 86 would mean july of 1986).

To do this job you will need a few quarts of 80-90w gear oil, and some permatex gasket sealer for the diff cover. Its pretty easy and can be done in 45 minutes by pretty much anybody.
    -Harrison

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Oh, BTW....you may want to check the glovebox first. There is sometimes still the original factory options list (I have it on my 87 K5) that will tell the gear ratio. Thats assuming that they were never changed.
    -Harrison

7. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it might say in your glove box.

Damn too slow

8. showmeburb86

thank you. I know the history of this truck and am pretty sure it is stock. So I will check the glove box tomorrow.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

a good 2 inch or 4 inch spring lift will give you nice ride quality
    you could also just do a 2-3 inch body lift, which some think might look tacky if you don't work on the bumpers and make them match the body height.

Look into brands like BDS, or Tuff Country for a nice lift. I believe BDS has a lifetime no ifs ands or butts warranty... check em out, its pretty easy