Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting drivetrain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 27, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know it will raise my CG but I want to raise my entire drivetrain. Namely I want to raise the bottom of my 465-208 adaptor to level with the bottom of the frame. I figure this will be 1.5" at the adaptor. Think I can get away without lifting the motor? Only way I can figure to lift the motor is those little motor mount plates for automatic transmissions.

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You could use motor plates like they use in drag racing on the front and rear of the motor. I don't know have much abuse they would take from wheeling,You would also have to raise the body or re-do the trans mission tunnel on the body for clearence.......

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

body? what is this body you speak of? My body will be tube built around my drivetrain. I've seen motor plates take some abuse to say the least. Circle track racing you smack a wall flip the car and all, never seen a motor plate bent up. Then again the motor plates are bolted to Chromoly tubed chassis.

4. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Motor will have to be lifted otherwise it will not cool. Air pockets will form if the motor is tipped forward. easiest would be to take some plate steel and make a taller stock type mount.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you are going to build an awesome rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Would like to see some pic's when it is done. Also I know quite a few guys who run motor plates with mild Steel tube Chassies..........

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You might just be able to lift of the rear of the drivetrain. With your body history there would not be much worry about air pockets or anything. Maybe you could enlarge the holes on the motor mount to help ease the strain on the rubber mounts.

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    body? what is this body you speak of? My body will be tube built around my drivetrain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the body will be added later, I've got a few suggestions.

1)Use less lift to lower the COG.

2)Build a new crossmember that will accomodate crossover with said lower lift.

3)Incorporate new taller motor mounts that raise drivetrain required amount to achieve flat belly in said crossmember.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

IMHO a motor plate ain't a good idea in a frame that is gonna get twisted and tweaked offroad. Having drivetrain mounts that bend is better than havin drivetrain parts that break.

I'm assuming that your gonna crawl with this thing, not just mud drags or pulls. A motor plate might work in those applications. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I already plan on modified crossmember for crossover, I have 4" front springs and thats all the lift I plan on having up there. Just want to flatten out the belly so the only things hurting my breakover angle are my link mounts.

9. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I already plan on modified crossmember for crossover

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just make the mounting pads for motor mounts tall enough to raise the motor.