Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? LIFTING FRONT 1 1/2 -2 INCHES

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1989k5, Mar 6, 2004.

1. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

I know it is late and don't expect any replys right now, but I would like some information on lifting the front of my 89k5 1-1/2 to 2 inches only. The back is up 3 1/2 inches from new 6 leaf springs and blocks. The front I am debating building blocks for or purchasing rearched springs to give the required lift. Also, do I need to lengthen or replace anything else that could be stretched to much. It seems to me, everything should flex enough with such a small lift. Please, any feedback would be appreciated. The reason for the small lift is I only want to go 33 12.50 tires since I pull a middle weight boat 20 to 100 miles for frequent fishing trips. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] 1989k5 10b frnt/rear. NP241/700R4/350. 31X10.50 stock. rear 3 1/2 inch block lift. Plan 33 12.50 if front lifted.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you have stock springs? if so you may wanna try a add aleaf. it may ride a little rougher.

or you can go with zero rates from Offroad Design which adds 1" its not what your looking for but an option

3. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

I say 2.5 springs(better ride) in the front or add a leafs(will stiffen your spring).Blocks in the front in a serious no no.The force on the front when steering can cause the blocks to fail and cause you to loose control.The blocks in the rear will be fine though.
    I don't think a 2.5 lift should bother anything didn't on my bro's 89.He ran 35"tsl's with a little /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

4. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I will look into these options. As you said the add a leaf can stiffen the already stiff ride, but the 1 inch zero rate may be on option. 33 12.50 tires should clear ok with a 1 inch lift since my 31's clear easily. The back is about 2 inches taller than the front. I originally lifted it to make up for the stock sag, but now it kind of resemble a shackled up chevelle I used to have. In your experience, does the zero rate add any stiffness, I'm not sure if it is a block system or what. Thanks again for the advise.

5. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

Do you know of a company that makes 2.5 front springs, or is that a common enough lift to find.

6. BIGDAN112686

BIGDAN112686 1/2 ton status

off-road design(www.offroaddesign.com) sells tough country 2.5 inch springs. supposedly very good and i wish i would have gone with them. but definately check out that website.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you know of a company that makes 2.5 front springs, or is that a common enough lift to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's common, just not too many people go that route.

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Blocks in the front are Illegel in most states and are an Accident waiting to happen. You could add some longer shackles in the front. The only problem doing that is you will have to check your pinion angle and also Caster angle.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's CASTER angle, not camber.

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, thats what I ment, No Coffee yet (yawn) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

[/ QUOTE ] In your experience, does the zero rate add any stiffness

[/ QUOTE ]
    The zero rate is pretty much a 1" thick add a leaf that bolts to the bottom of your spring pack.It will give you 1" of lift with out changeing the way it will ride.

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

here is the link to ORD's site with the zero rates. zero rate

they are almost exactly like a add a leaf, but it covers just the perch, therfor adding no more spring rate

13. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

I'm sure glad you guys are available for advise, it sure eliminates a lot of error on my part. Lifting vehicles is not included in my area of knowledge so I'm glad I can rely on this website as a source. I'm going to take some measurements to see how little lift I can get away with to fit 33 `12.50s in and maybe the zero rate would be a good choice. My biggest problem with lifting to much is clearance into my garage approx 7ft. I tend to bump the door with the cap now. Another consideration for the 2.5 inch lift is does it add any ride quality, in other words, does it soften up the ride? I'm going to check out the recommended websites that were posted and read maybe the tech tips they have. I'll post my decision and give an update on the outcome. You guys are great, thanks for being a resource. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] 89k5350700r424110bfrt/rear/ 311050.

14. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I did zero rates about 2 months ago and I love them. They are inexpensive, very easy to install and are safe for front end use. I would go with that. They will even put like a one degree angle on them so they wont affect your driveline angle. but in my opinion 1 inch will not affect much.

15. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

I read the offroaddesign.com catalog description and like the idea of the zero rate as well. The description states that there is an offset that can be used to bring the axle fore or aft depending on where the center pin hole is drilled. Thanks for telling me about the pitch they can build into them for shaft geometry. My rear axle I struggled with for a few months to get the vibrations taken care of. I'm going to order them tomorrow and put them in on my next day off. I think that will cure what ales me. I love this truck and am so buried in it with time and money, getting advise save me both. thanks again.

16. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I installed the zero rates on mine and moved the front axle foward 1" and the rear back 1". I love it and It doesnt make it any rougher. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif