Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting gas tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pure Insanity, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I was looking today at how the tank is mounted under the Blazer and it doesnt look to hard to mount it up higher. I have a body lift so I can get a good 3-4 inches up. Then I can pull the hitch tighter to the frame rails for better clearance in the rear. No I dont want to run a cell in the bed. I have thot about that and would like to do it but I would like to save the area behind the seat. I want to move the existing tank up. Has anyone done this, and if so what did it take and do you have pics? Looks to be just cutting out the crossmembers, and modifying the ends to move it up, and rolling the lip on the tank. And actually I dont think the lip will be a problem unless its right at the rail, otherwise it should go into the C channel of the rail. Am I way off base on this?

2. Pure Insanity

What noone has done this or even tried!

BTW I have tried doing a search on the topic and have come back empty. And I worded it 2 different ways.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If I remember right Depdog did it. He's been busy, might want to PM him.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

If you've got the room it wouldn't be bad, but the tank fits up against some bracing in the top, this will all have to be either notched dor moved up with the tank. Can be a PITA if you are trying to do it quick and get the truck going again.

5. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    I've got the floor off my truck right now, i'll go take a look and see what would be involved. If it would help you I could post a few closeups of the tank and rails, maybe give you an idea of what to do.
    Let me know.

6. Pure Insanity

Ill have to get in touch w/ him. Seems like he may be the only one that has done it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. Pure Insanity

I have no fear of lifting the body off if ness. LOL! I work at my dads shop so I have full access to the place. Having a fully equiped shop make working on your rig easy. And the shop is in town so I can get my dad or brother to swing by and get me if need be.

8. Pure Insanity

That would be perfect Scott! Id greatly appreciacte (SP) as many pics as you can snap off. And a few pointsers. You and I think alike (both being body man.) so your advice would be cool. I dont think itll be too hard to do, but Id like to minimize the time PI is down for. I am gonna be doing TONS of stuff here soon and I want to do as much as possible in a week or so.

Then I start on the paint and body. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

STEVE I'LL GET PICS FOR YOU IN THE AM,
    BEFORE THE S#$T HITS THE FAN HERE IN THE SHOP.
    WE ARE SMOKIN BUSY.
    SORRY NO TIME TO HIT THE CAPS LOCK KEY

10. Pure Insanity

Thanx dude! Pics of the bare frame will help greatly.

11. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    Some pics of the frame and crossmembers,
    The way i look at it you have a couple of options.
    1). cut the tops off the crossmembers and tilt the tank until you can get the tank pinchwelds inside the rails then use blocks to lift it to the desired height. modify or build some new straps, and move the skid plate up. then I would probably want to use some angle iron to reverse the tops of the crossmembers for strength,
    2). move the two crossmembers outward enough to do away with step one, this is probably the way I would go seeing as I want to do away with the stock shock mount system when I give mine a lift, looks like you could move the rear member back about 1" and the front one enough to clear the tank. building a new strap system and skid plate just seems alot easier than chopping crossmembers.

In my opinion both ways would be just as time consuming but the second option would look cleaner.Either way it doesn't look that difficult.

12. Pure Insanity

Thanx a ton Scott! Those pics really help. I am thinking I may take the body off to do that one. Or atleast lift it up a bit. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Im going to have to take a few more looks at how much room I have w/ the body on before I decide. I would like to say I am gonna do it at the same time I am doing all this other stuff, (F&R axle swap, hydro-boost, maybe another inch or 2) but this might take a bit more time than I am wanting to part w/ PI on top of the time its already gonna be down. Ill also will change the shock mounts while I am doing that part.

Thanx again!