Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting Heavy Things

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Well Sunday night STILL has me damn sore, but I'mma do it again.

What helps with soreness after lifting?

Does it get better with routine?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

eat 2 banannas a day. or take potassium pills. they will help with soreness, along with doubling your water intake through the day.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Thank you

I just went through three quarts of water in an hour

I'm surprised I'm able to keep this up

4. Seventy4Blazer

you can overhydrate ya know... ;-)

drink an hour before you work out but not too m uch and then drink a tiny bit as you work out, then drink a bunch when done. you can do the same with protine as well.

5. Resurrection_Joe

I's was thurstah

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You mean lifting as in weight lifting?

7. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah... I wasn't sure how to spell weight so I didn't

8. cbbr

Keep at it. The pain goes away after a few weeks. You might also try lifting heavy one day and very light the next - same muscle groups - just to keep the blood flowing and flush out the waste.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Got a source to back that up? Just curious as to how much water you have to drink to get "overhydrated".......:confused:

10. cbbr

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My belt is loose as of this week , and my arms are getting some definition now :woot:

12. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

cbbr pretty much hit it, the pain will become less intense as your muscles grow used to it. when i very first started working out, i hurt so bad i couldnt use the muscle group i worked out at all for a few days, then it went down to where i would just be sore for a few couple days, now (3 years later) i get a mild soreness most of the time for a day or two..

getting your heart-rate up and staying hydrated helps clean out the (insert acid whose name i forgot here) and repair your muscles..

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I read through a couple of the links, and I would say that unless you're on a super strict diet there is NO way that you should worry about over-hydrating and screwing up your sodium levels.

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

It's lactic acid, and for the sake of all that is Can Can, STRETCH BEFORE AND AFTER! A warm up and cool down helps too. Just walk around and stretch, maybe a short jog.

15. cbbr

Its really just a problem that long distance atheletes have. You lose odium and keep replacing just water until you get it all out of whack.

16. XHitman396

lactic, that's the one, well done TSGB. yeah, something like 2 gallons a day, for more than one day, with normal activities?? unless you're a camel trapped in human's body, i wouldnt think that urge should arrive often..

17. XHitman396

well hold on, i gotta different, related question. since the overhydration is ultimately diluting your sodium supply, can you overhydrate, or flat out overdose on Gatorade for example, 270mg sodium per 20 fluid ounces??:thinking: oh, no mean to hi-jack, but i think we already established the previous answer.. :D

18. Seventy4Blazer

you are right, 90% of people who drink a ton of water are not going to do much more than have to pee a lot. 9.9 % of the rest will just make themselves nautious, but not do any harm, that .1% will get sick.

it was more of a comment than serious warning. most people do not belive it. there is a fobia of not having enough water and it has killed a couple people. VERY rare though.

like stated before keep at it, find a routine that works for you and balances your body groups for what you want to look like/be able to do. it will get better and by the time it starts hurting less it is time to add a few LBS. of weight to that exercise. personaly when i was working out i just wanted to tone. im a bean pole anyway, but right now im at 8% body fat. i used to be 195lbs at 2.5% body fat. some say its unhealthy. right now im 175lbs. my defanition is not near what it used to be, but i am getting back into exercising a LITTLE. nothing major just yet. soon though. oh, im 6'4'', like i said, bean pole....

Grant

19. Seventy4Blazer

i dont belive so. like stated before its mostly a sodium thing. too many electrolytes is bad also. your body will not always know what to do with them. i HATE plain water. drink very little water. juice, koolaid and gatoraid are mostly what i drink. problem is 2 out of 3 dehydrate you one way or another... i guess i cant win. if you see me drinking water its because i dont feel good most of the time. or am getting ready for a bike ride

20. cbbr

Nope. The problem has really surfaced because in long distance sports there are "water stations" and people handing you water the whole time. Of course the runners/riders have always been told to drink, so they do, and they get out of balance bad. This is all compounded by the fact that many EMT's hook the fallen runners/riders to an IV assuming dehydration (same basic symptoms) and you can see where that leads....