Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting my 78 2wd

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BRN78BLAZER, Feb 5, 2003.

1. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I want to lift my 78 2wd Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif about 2" to 2.5". Now the rear is no problem, Its the front I need help on. Will taking the coils from a stock 3/4 or 1 ton be good enough, or am I gonna have to change the a arms and steering knuckles etc...? If I can just use the springs how is this going to effect the downward travel of the upper a arm? Ive mesured, and now there is 3" with a 2" lift there will only 1" of travel. Will this be alright or will the a arm be constantly baning on the crossmember?
    I'd appreciate any help/info guys, also I was just wondering what some thoughts are on EZ Ride shackles for improving rough rear springs?

2. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

2wd+lift=show, so why dont you just body lift it?
    -Kell-

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I would go for a body lift also.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I'm not a big fan of body lifts. Here is thread where we dicussed this at great length, oddly enough in the 4x2 forum.

2WD lift
    PM me if ya need more.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Here is thread where we dicussed this at great length, oddly enough in the 4x2 forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Yeah some people don't like to look where they post, they assume it's all the same, why do they bother have more than one thread, lets just all chat in one thread.
    Sorry but I couldn't resist, no hard feelings Eh?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Guys try and post in the appropriate place, you will be more welcomed and responses would be to the point not smart ass responses like mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. BRN78BLAZER

Thanks for the info guys. Im not a fan of body lifts either. I read the other post and it was helpful but first I'm gonna take a trip to my friends junk yard and actually look and see the difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 and 1 ton, then go from there.

And Diesel I'm so sorry to have inconvienenced you by bothering you with my 2wd on my first day as a member. What was i thinking?

But it is on a 90 4x4 frame. I didn't have a spare set of 4x4 axles, so I through the 2wd suspension under it. Surprisingly easy to do, and can still beat the trail some what, its not just for show. I'm planning on putting a locking diff in the back as well, I'd just like it a little higher also. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

but in the future my 2x questions will be in the right place.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey man, no hard feelings here about posting in the wrong area. Sometimes the old-hands here like to point things out in a way that is "humorous" to others but really is quite unpleasant to the person it is directed towards.
    But, like they said...the question does belong in the 2wd forum....not because we don't like people that drive 2wd's, but because you'll get answers from people that know what they're talking about. For example, I couldn't tell you the first thing about the 2wd front suspension unless I was looking in one of my manuals. So, it's to your benefit to get info from the people who know what you're talking about. On a related note: if you'd be so kind to fill out your profile, that'd be great! (go to "my home" then the top choice in the "edit" section) This will let us know who you are, where you're from, and what you drive. Thanks a bunch....and welcome aboard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

2wd+lift=show

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]
    Show huh?

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I agree with you Bubba, all those prerunners racing through the desert at 100 mph are definitely built for show. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

looks showy to me.
    race truck can be 2wdr cause there will be a bunch of people there to pull your stuck POS out.
    a prerunner would be better off 4x4 so you dont get stuck.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

race truck can be 2wdr cause there will be a bunch of people there to pull your stuck POS out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    And I'm sure the lighter weight and less parts to break has nothing to do with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

sure I guess the lighter it is will make it easier to push or pull from a soft spot.
    they should carry a beer cooler while they wait for the 4x4 crew truck to get there

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Maybe increased driving skills would eliminate some of your getting stuck problems.....not that you drive in the dezert anyway.....When one doesn't actually know anything about a subject he should try this /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have watched 2wdr race trucks on TV stuck in a wash.
    so that makes it first hand experience by Bubba's logic

15. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

BRN78BLAZER, You might get a little lift out of 3/4 ton springs, but it'll ride like hell. Spacers under the springs are your cheapest way to go. I would try about 1/2" to get 2" of lift. You should still have a little down travel. You can add balljoint spacers to space the A-arm back up if you deem it neccesary. If you have '90 model suspension you can get a lift spindle, but there are none made for '78s.

16. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I have watched 2wdr race trucks on TV stuck in a wash.
    so that makes it first hand experience by Bubba's logic

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well slap my fro Rastus, I'm a thinking that ole Bubba Ray just got put in his place with that commentary.

You've seen it on that thar TV huh? Well slap the sheep on the a** and call it good....................I guess just by watching it on TV y'all are now some world wide renowned expert in the sport of off road racing? [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

18. BRN78BLAZER

Hmmm, a 1/2" spacer under the coil will really lift it close to 2". Wow /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've never tried lifting a 2wd before, but I would have thought that to get 2" of lift I would need a 2" spacer. But hey, if a 1/2 spacer will really work I'll try it!

19. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Due to the geometry of the a-arm a little gives a lot. If it was a coil in the rear or say a Jeep coil....it would take a 2" spacer to get 2" of lift. Also the spacer needs to be steel or cast aluminum. Rubber Autozone ones don't work well.

20. BRN78BLAZER

Awesome! I have a week off in two weeks, planning to change my clutch, but I think I'll surprise everyone and try a lift /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Can I install these spacers but seperating the lower ball joint and releasing the spring? Or am I gonna have to drop the lower a arm by unbolting those little u bolts underneath?
    Thanks alot, and BTW Michael that 74 prerunner is very cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif