Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting my 79

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gaine7, Apr 18, 2001.

1. gaine7

gaine7 Registered Member

There was a post about a month ago about a 4" lift install and all the things to look out for. Can anyone enlighten me because I can't find it now and I know it would be helpful in my lift install on Sunday. Thanks

Jim
    1979 Cheyenne about go to 35s and 4" lift
    Clemson, SC

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Here are some things that are good to have around:

Torches
    airtools
    PB Blaster(soak all your nuts and bolt with this the night before)
    BFH's
    Breaker bar
    Jack stands
    Balljoint/tierod seperator
    Big C-Clamps

Definately Soak every nut and bolt down throughly with PB Blaster the night before... This really help break everything loose...

Also, when taking your steering arm off, use the BFH(sledge or similar) and hit it from front to back and soak it down with Blaster... You may have to heat it with the torches... There are three cones that are under the bolts that look like washers.. These are what is so hard to break free.

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

3. gaine7

gaine7 Registered Member

Thanks, I also remember something about lithium grease in the bushings so the springs don't squeak after the install is done...Is this true and where does the L grease go?

Rugby, Rugby, Rugby!

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Put some grease on the outside of the metal sleeve and on the bolt itself. This will also aid in removal down the road...

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

This will be kind of big. I had just gotten my digital camera and forgot to downsize these before I upploaded them to the web.

Rear: Place jackstands like this, and jack the truck upp by the axel only high enough to remove the tires(mine where 33") Then ease the jack down til you have the frame resting on the floorjacks. keep some pressure on the floorjack. I put some tires under the brakedrums to have a backupp incase it dropped when I cut the U-bolts with the grinder. Also remove the shocks.

[​IMG]

Here you see the rear block in place. You might have gotten the rear springs instead. That's a diffrent story offcource. Then put in the new shock.

[​IMG]

Here I'm starting the front. Jackstands placed in front of the front spring hanger. A set of tires stacked under the T-case for extra safety.

[​IMG]

I first removed the steering arm however. I came as far as finishing the rear and jacking upp the front the first day. So I removed the 3 nuts and sprayed heavely before quiting for the day. And I also borrowed a tierod disconector to get the link off without damaging the treads.

[​IMG]

Here it is removed and you see the sledge I used. It came off pretty easy after leaving it overnight like this.

[​IMG]

Here you see me manuvering the front springs in place.

[​IMG]

These where all the tools I used.

[​IMG]

Hope they can be of inspiration and help. Any questions just ask.

[​IMG] If your not living on the edge, your taking upp to much space![​IMG]