Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting my '82

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, Jun 24, 2001.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Lifting my \'82

Can any one give me some info about a 6" lift for my 82 blazer. What steering parts will need to be changed? Is there one company that stands out above the rest? This is my first lift so I need a complete kit so I dont have to keep guessing for the extra parts. Any suggestions?

Also what does a shackle flip consist of and how much is gained? I looked at the tech article but I couldnt grasp the concept.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Re: Lifting my \'82

OK first on brand preference - Suspensions are like baseball teams - everyone's got a favorite. Steeringwise, you'll definitely need to change the arm, and probably add a longer drag link. You'll also need longer brakelines and shocks.

As for a shackle flip, they're great - By turning the shackle upside down, you can lift the rear using factory springs without lift blocks.

You should also seriously consider ORD's steering box brace while you're at it - I just got the luxury of welding up my frame after it got cracked, and I'm only running 4" with 33's. Bigger tires means more likely to crack, so that's definitely something to consider early on.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

3. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Pugs is right. Suspension set-ups are like baseball teams. Most kits you'll look at come in complete packages with all the hardware to lift the truck. They don't come with the extended brake lines or the steering components. Shackle flips are great from what I hear. I don't have one, but people all say they are nice. For a 6", you'll want to look into dropping your t-case and getting the driveshafts extended. I'm sure more people will fill in what we didn't.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

First of I will say check in the past posts... I know I have answered this question about 5 times in the last 2 weeks. I will just say a 4" lift is much easier...6"' usually need extended driveshafts, are more prone to vibes... you also need the pitman arm in addition to the steering arm, extended brake lines are pretty much a must...

The shakle flip is for a softer ride and more flex. I personally don't care for the flex... especially in the rear... so I didn't go that route. Also it seems like everyone that does the shakle flip in the rear has vibration issues w/ the 6" lift. Even w/ the flip you would want 4" springs (2" bigger to adjust for the weight and make it pretty level). The vibes usually leave to a CV shaft and all the mess'n w/ the slip yoke cases if you care to deal w/ that option.

Feel free to pm me for picks and waht not from my lift and if you have other questions... I haven't gotten a chance to do much on my web page

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by CaptCrunch on 06/24/01 06:10 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They make a pitman arm for our trucks? I've never seen one in use...only steering arms and drag links. I have the arm.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup... one of the fellas I know said not to go w/ the arm and dragling combo cause they tend not to work all that great. My 2" drop pitman arm is from skyjacker... cost like $90.... w/out it you will have some serious bumpsteer.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I stand by CaptCrunch and the choice to use the pitman arm and the steering arm.

My favorite steering component company is Skyjacker since they make the pitman arm. They also make the 6" raised steering arm if you want to get that instead of the pitman arm and 4" steering arm. May be cheaper to get one steering arm and be done with it. But, if it were me, I rather use the drop pitman arm and 4" steering arm.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Cool, I never heard of the pitman arm before. I heard that the drag link is a bad idea anyway since when the pitman arm pushes on it, it really tries to bend it more and the geometry still ain't right. The steering arm seems not to do this.

I've never seen the 6" steering arm either. Maybe I'd try that before I tryed to pull my pitman arm off. I bet that has potential to be a real PITA.

I've got the 4" steering arm and a 4" lift and I'm happy. Funny thing about my steering arm--I bought a 10 bolt front axle from the junkyard and it came with the axle....so I've never had to buy one!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, the 6" steering arm also requires you to take out the stock studs that holds the arm to the knuckle. Not an easy chore if you ask. Thats why I would rather run the 4" steering arm and pitman arm. You can simply put the new steering arm on the stock studs and put the nuts on and tighten them. You're done. Those studs can be worse to remove than the stock steering arm itself!!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>