Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifting question looking for experienced replies.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Neil, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal. I have a 78 K5 400,AT,4x4. It has 33 x 12.5 tires on it that were on it when I bought it. They are in great shape. Problem is, the truck body or suspn has never been lifted. There is not enuff clearance to go hunting/off road on a bumpy dirt road where I go hunting in my opinion. The fenders seem close to the tires. Could I add lifting blocks and u bolts and go 3" without hurting other parts? What about driveshaft stress at 2 or 3 "? Also if anyone is interested in going to do some serious safe deer hunting in south Alabama, talk to me..my email is neilheis@yahoo.com..I usually go in Covington county. Bow hunt mostly. Anyways, what about my K5 lift?

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

A 2.5" or 3" suspension won't stress your drivelines or steering like a 4"+ lift. You NEVER want to use blocks up front, only springs. If money is a factor, you could install a 2" or 3" body lift and get the clearance you are after. Personally, I'd go with a 2.5" suspension - they can usually be had for very little money, and will give you quite a bit of improvement.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

What body lift would you recommend?...$$ and where? Thanks. Oh yeah,,I got your message. Thanks, we are proud of our baby girl!

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

There's quite a few body lifts out there - Trailmaster makes probably the most common one on the market - They run about $80 from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.4wpw.com>Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers</a>

That little girl's gonna have you wrapped around her little finger[​IMG]

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Thanks. This is a small tax return $$ project before hunting season. I'm wrapped already, whatchu mean! hahaha!

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yup blocks are bad in the rear and an absolute No-No up front. I would look on the for sale board for a kit up 4" for cheap if that is your concern. Otherwise I really recomend a 4" lift cause it won't be much more then a 2.5 and for some reason this lifting and tires gets to be addicting [​IMG] [​IMG] You'll need longer shocks for either. Also for the four inch you will want a steering arm, extended brake lines if you plan to flex, and then will need to drop the t-case using the factory spacers... (This is free)

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

7. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I don't plan on flexing if I can help it. I drive my K5 and can't afford to abuse it. I have abused and broken parts on my 4x4s in the past. I drive it and go hunting off road on some washed out and muddy roads is all. I just don't want to shred my fenders since it has a new paint job. Clearance is all I'm looking for. Not many rock climbers in south Alabama. We have no rocks or mountains. North Al does though. My wife is from Ft Payne,AL and they are all about mountains. I might go visit the in-laws and try climbing when I got some $$. Thanks.

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hi Neil. congrats!

Sounds to me like a 3" bodylift will do you fine. It changes nothing in the drivetrain, and the truck drives the same only it's tuffer![​IMG]

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup a Body lift will help. I still personally like the suspension lifts, but if the body lift meets your needs go for it! I would pull up the carpet first and make sure there are no rusted out surprises. You could end up like Riz then... even a truck that looks perfect can be badly damaged under the carpet in the floors and body mount area.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

10. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

The only place the body on mine has any rusty cancer is under the passenger side floorpan near the front of the little aliminum kick plate. it is about the size of a quarter. is this a crucial area? I might need to weld in a plate of metal there or sumthin? TIA.

11. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

thats a pretty typical rust spot... if you can get a nice plate welded there, that would work fine. make sure you spray down the surrounding area with some sort of sealant like some primer or something. (It doesnt need to look pretty.. its under carpet.) Hey, body lifts are ok, but always do suspension if you possibly can. with something like a 3" body lift (which is what you would most likely need to clear those 33s) you get a few issues, and its not as much of a "saturday afternoon job" as some people make it seem. For instance, your tranny shifter arm will need to have at least a 2" extension welded at the end of it so that you can get into all your gears. sometimes people have issues with the transfer case shifting linkage, your radiator is moved above the fan, thus potentially creating some cooling issues, you get a little more frame flex, and besides, it kinda makes your bumper levels look awkward, unless you spend the extra money to have them lifted and/or get tubulars and whatnot. If at all possible get a 2.5" or 4" suspension lift. for the kind of driving you'll be doing (mild trails when youre hunting) you can use blocks in the rear with no problem. for a 2.5" you could easily go all block in the rear and for a 4" you could do the same or go with a combination block/add-a-leaf. youre always going to want to get new springs for all the lift in the front, regardless of the lift. yes, for any suspension application you will need new u-bolts and harware, as well as some longer shocks. the raised steering arm isnt too expensive ($60 or so) and you shouldnt worry about any added stress on steering parts. (after all you said you werent going to be doing any rock crawling or anything.) As far as driveshafts go, for good measure on either lift, you should drop your transfer case about an 1"-1 1/2". hey, hope I could help, and good luck. if you have any questions, Ill check back...