Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaptainColorado, Jul 19, 2005.

1. CaptainColorado

CaptainColorado Newbie

I have a 04' Chevy Colorado 2WD (Z71) with 285 16's on it. It looks awesome, but it scrubs a little on the front and I would like to raise the truck about 3" or so. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to do this inexpensively?

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

I don't think there is a inexpensive way to lift a '04 colorado, maybe you could mount some bags to the frame and lift er up for a little money....
    that suspension is probably already limited on how far it will expand and raise the truck, measure the travel with the truck on ground then jack it up till the wheels are almost ready to leave the ground and measure again.
    This will give you an idea of what's possible....I'm not familiar with the Colorado suspension so maybe some other perople can help ya more.

3. CaptainColorado

CaptainColorado Newbie

Thanks Mad dog,

I actually went to a local off-road shop and they just tightened the torsion bars on the front since the truck was kinda slanted forward anyway. Fixed the problem and it looks even better. Really got me thinking about going even higher though :rolleyes:

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I cannot use the phrases "independent suspension" and "inexpensive lift" in the same sentence. An SFA conversion could well be cheaper in the long run. Or just getting a truck with more than five cylinders :wink1:

BTW, depending on how much the torsion bars were fiddled with, you'll want to get your alignment checked, or you may scrub your front tires very quickly.

-- A

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Hope you didn't pay them a whole lot to do that :crazy:

6. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

kinda reminds me of that song (i wanna take ya higher....) :bow:
    Cool deal bro, Dremu has some good advice also. :bow:

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A body lift is the only thing I think of as inexpensive when anyone talks lifts.

8. CaptainColorado

CaptainColorado Newbie

thanks guys . . .

what is a SFA conversion?

The guys at the offroad shop charged me $20 to do that. They also said a body lift would run 375 for the parts and 400 on labor. They also suggested an extension kit which would run 2100 installed!

Twenty bucks didn't sound too bad since it's just a daily work truck (I work in an office). I have an older truck (98' model) that I use to pull my fishing boat and don't really want to lift it. But this colorado looks really good with the big tires - haven't seen another one like it!

9. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Just remember cranking the torsion bar can lead to excessive wear on the ball joints.