Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifting question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 19, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I was watching superlift tv and they put an 8inch lift on a truck /w no driveshaft modifications.... How is this possible? I would consider saving up for an 8 inch lift for my suburban if I didn't have to fool with driveshaft problems. Do these components really just bolt right in with no problems except extending brake lines???????????

2. project84k5

project84k5 Registered Member

i cant imagine having no driveshaft issues, i just went from 4 to 6inches on my blazer and had to have th front driveshaft lengthened, and i have to have the rear lengthened when i just had a 4 inch, but everybody is different in what they think is right

ryan

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

No A 8 inch lift is not a direct bolt up.. You will have to change shaft's in order for it work right..

They must have done that on the commercial break :haha:

4. 78Suburban

I kinda suspected that. They did a similar install in petersons off road and never mentioned any driveline modifications. Are all these people somoking crack, or can you get away with it if it only rides to the grocery store and back?

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got an 8" BDS on my K5. it is actually bout 9" lift. when i first put it on, i was able to drive around, but i didnt go faster than 20mph, i was too scared. i then got the driveshaft lengthened bout 3" ($115) and i have been driving it like that since, works fine. only thing is that when u are coasting, it makes a loud noise from the ujoints cuz the angle, and it vibrates. i plan on gettin a HAD shaft in the not so distant future when my 14ff is ready. as for the front, i just took it off temporarily til i figure out what im going to do in terms of t-cases. the front shaft definitely needs to be lengthened, bout 2.5"

since u got a burban, you should be fine jus lengthening it since ur wheelbase is so much longer than a k5.

hope that helps.

6. 78Suburban

since all I will do is mud, if I have to lengthen it anyway, I might save up for a 12 inch kit. I wonder how long I would have to make the shafts then? Where in the world can I find a shop that can make longer shafts?????

The reason I am so gung ho to lift my truck really high and run huge tires is because I found out that classic city offroad will sell me and install 5.13 front and rear (rear on backorder, but I have to save my money a while anyway) for $820, which is alot cheaper than I was figuring.

7. mudslinger99

Any driveshaft shop can modify your driveshaft to work.. But if you want the best call Jess at High angle :D

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

High Angle Driveline makes good driveshafts, but they are pricey. i plan on getting one tho, from what i hear they are pretty much the best. however if a shop can lengthen it 2" then they can lengthen it 12". a high angle shaft might not be necessary, once u ride in it, youll know.

BEWARE: it will cost alot more than u suspect. thats how its going for me.
    i thought i would jus have to get the driveshafts lengthened, and i thought pitman arm and steering arm would be fine. now i got to get a new rear shaft, and get x-over steering. right there thats amost $1000 more that i didnt think id have to spend. and bunch of other stuff. the list is going to be even bigger if you run more lift.

unless you plan on dropping tons of $$$ into it, i wouldnt go anymore than about 8", cuz after it jus gets rediculous. or maybe its the fact that im still in highschool and dont have a steady job, so sometiems funds are scarce.

also remeber the bigger tire you run, the more stress and more likely you are to break stuff.

9. 78Suburban

are local driveshaft shops a common thing? I've never noticed any in any of the towns near me......... maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

10. mudslinger99

You can look in your phone book or just go to a parts store like Napa or a mechanic shop and ask them I'm sure somebody can point you in the right direction..

11. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Lift Kit

Where can I get a 4 or 6 inch lift kit for a 1989 Suburban 3/4 ton?
    How much?
    My neighbor needs one bad, and the tire store says they run 500$
    Any information?
    Eddie

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Longer wheelbase vehicles such as the suburban, longbed, and crewcab trucks can get away with a taller lift without any modification. The more distance between two points, the less the angle is going to be. The lesser the angle, the less the driveshaft has to "lengthen" to reach between the two distances.

13. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

12"??? Sounds a wee bit like overkill to me...springs won't flex/work right, etc. I know you wanna go high in a mud truck, but i'd stick to 8". You're going one ton axles too right? Another thing that helps is to reduce weight.

14. 78Suburban

this thread is ancient..........I've decided on a MUCH more modest approach to my build now.. I think that fellow wanting a 4 to 6 inch lift brought it back up............

15. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I spent around $1200 to $1300 for HAD driveshafts for my :burb: that is lifted 12". I would not hesitate to do that again because that stuff is the best. I will be contacting HAD soon about getting shafts for my 4runner :D