Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting the burb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Dec 1, 2004.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Installing ORD shackle flip. The sparks from the grinder look great bouncing off of the gas tank. Safety first. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

don't forget to take plenty of pictures and good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

If your worried, fill up the gas tank. Gassoline fumes explode, but gas as a liquid just burns... /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

4. cbbr

After much confusion(first time /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif), 3 parts runs (if it don't fit,cut it off and get a new one, right? /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif)and 1 beer run (no excuse for this poor planning)the rear is done. ORD flip and zero rates for 5" and 35" BFG's. Many pics.The front will be done on Friday, although it looks good now in that redneck kind of way. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If your worried, fill up the gas tank. Gassoline fumes explode, but gas as a liquid just burns... /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

gasoline does not burn, it is only flamable in a vapor form. dont believe it? throw a lit cigarette into a can of gas, it just goes out.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gasoline does not burn, it is only flamable in a vapor form. dont believe it? throw a lit cigarette into a can of gas, it just goes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmmm no..........the fumes coming off the gas will burn....and the heat from the flame will only make the gas evaporate faster creating more fumes.... If it were really cold, you could throw a match in and it wouldn't burn because there would be next to no fumes but if its warm its not something that I would want to be doing without a little distance.

7. cbbr

That's an old trick that I have heard from military guys used to scare the FNG. Of course, the military was using diesel at the time, so I'm not sure that I would try it with gas. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

8. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

It actually works with gasoline too. I knew a guy that use to scare people (me included) with that trick. He hasn´t blown himself up yet /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

9. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And... this is different from what I said... how? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    You can get say a can of gas to burn, you have to get it warmed up enough to give off fumes... just like alcohol (which is actually pretty tuff w/ a cup of it). So true, the fumes burn but a fume filled room will explode, while you can get a can/puddle to burn as it boils the gass below....

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

just a little fun fact.

gas fumes at 14% airmixture are AS explosive by volume as TNT.

trust me i have blown lots of stuff up. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [/And... this is different from what I said... how?
    You can get say a can of gas to burn, you have to get it warmed up enough to give off fumes... just like alcohol (which is actually pretty tuff w/ a cup of it). So true, the fumes burn but a fume filled room will explode, while you can get a can/puddle to burn as it boils the gass belowquote] so a full tank of fuel is much less likely to explode than a tank 1/4 full? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif