Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifting truck with basic jack and jackstands?? need ideas!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by little79k5, Sep 5, 2002.

1. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

well, i am very capable of lifting my truck (8" front springs, echobit shackle flip, and 2" blocks, brakelines, etc) but how do i get enough clearance to get everything in there. i have just your basic 3 ton jack and jackstands to work with. any tricks of the trade? thanks!

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i always lift mine by the axles...

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Go get some cinder blocks and the concrete slab that is the same square area as the top of the cinder...then fill the holes in the cinder w/ Quikrete and let it set up...then stack the cinder block and put the jack stand in such a way that 2 legs are on one cinder and 2 on the other and it is stradling the seam...It work for me...I would recomend doing one end at a time and and block the wheels WELL...

Chris

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

They are building a lot of new houses around me and I got some cut-off pieces of 6x6 deck support lumber. It works great Just put the jackstand on top of the wood and you have an instant extra 6" of lift. (Do the same with the jack when you are jacking it up.

5. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This is perfect timing...I'm about to lift my 77 Jimmy for the first time and have been wondering what the proper way to jack up the vehicle is. Does everyone lift up the vehicle by the axles (as close as you can get to the wheel of course)? Thanks.

6. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

im talking about lifting it to put my lift on. you can't lift it by the axles, it will compress everything. you are trying to uncompress everything for removal

7. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Jack the truck up by the axle. Jackstand the frame and let the axle down to separate the axle from the frame. If you don't have jackstands, you probably don't need to be doing it, anyway.

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I just cut some fire wood rounds that were 4" higher than the frame, they were 36" across. I just jacked up the truck at the axles and had my brother push the rounds under the frame at the cross member, the truck balanced out on there and I was able to drop the axles without the tires /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i lifted it by the axles put my 6 ton jack stands under, let the axles drop, with the tires off i could install the lift. then jacked the axle back up and installed tires. didnt have to lower it much after tires were back on...
    grant

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I did the same thing with the tree rounds when I did my bodylift.

11. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

The easiest way is to hook an engine cherry-picker to the bumper.