Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifting weights...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Jan 8, 2006.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

any power/weight lifters in here?

looking for some advise or some direction.

its time for me to get back into shape. i used to lift somewhere between 2-4 hours a day, and i got in shape, but didnt really get to where i wanted to be. looking for a quick way to pack on some muscle only working out about an hour a day 4-6 days a week. dont care about losing weight, if anything id like to pack some more on.

ive been reading about these heavy/hard workouts, where you lift as much as you possibly can only a couple of times. seems like the guys doing these kinds of workouts are the ones benching 700 lbs and squating 1000. granted, i dont think that ill be doing that anytime soon, but if the technique works to get to that point, it would help me reach my goals.

any good websites i could visit? seems like all the ones i find want to sell me a new supplement or diet pill.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

join either wannabebig.com forum or bodybuilding.com forum for all the info you could ever need.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

id rather stay away from all the pretty boy body builders. but i will check them out, thanks for the info.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What do you mean by that?

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

id rather stay away from the work outs that make you bigger, but not any stronger. dont get my wrong, the body builders are strong, but not near as strong as some body who power lifts.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Those sites aren't like that. A lot of them have goals to lift higher weights in there sig lines. There may be people on there just to look better or bigger. But there are a lot of people who actually do it to be stronger, or actualy compete in lifting,etc.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha:
    funny you should say this, we had a guy with us in Iraq who would lift twice a day, three times when he could. he was CUT!! dude was only like 5'6 and 180lbs NO FAT AT ALL!! he couldnt lift anything in the real wortld though. his muscles were trained for certian movements only. there was a concrete parking block in the road stacked up with a couple others and some sand bags for a barrier. he and i had to move them one day when they were driven over by an LAV. (punks) anyway, he struggled more than i did to get the block lifted. he had a much shorter distance to lift, but just couldnt.

oh, i dont have any advice for you as i USED to do pyramids, and will be going back to it soon. my shoulder surgery went great, then i over used it and messed it up again, so i wont be doing any bench work yet other than the bar. that is also a HUGE maybe.:mad:
    Grant

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Strength is your goal, eh? Get a job where you have to dig and run a jackhammer on a regular basis. Ask me how I know......:doah:

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

well see, thats my problem, i used to be an auto tech, on my feet 10 hours a day, lifting, bending, etc. no ive got a cushy "desk job" and ive noticed i dont have the amount of energy that i used to.

but no, dont want to do anything that resembles what you said. ever been outside in Columbia, SC in the summer? gives hell a new meaning. god bless air conditioning.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Fixed it for ya'.:haha:

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

you could always cheat and do roids, and get the shrinkage that comes wih them :haha:

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

nah, i dont want to get that big (or any smaller :wink1: ).

13. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I only have three hobbies, my truck, my daughter, and training. To be totally honest, any conversation that doesn't revolve around on of these topics has little to no interest to me. I am 5'9 and right now I weight 168 with between 10-10.5% body fat. I have been down to as low as 160 with about 8% body fat and as heavy as 180ish with about 13 body fat. I about to start a gaining phase to get up to about 175 adn then trim to 170 with about 10% body fat for the summer. What are your goals? I've got somewhere between 10-15 workout routines, diets, etc...www.bodybuilding.com is great, but it all depends on your goals.

14. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

if you want to get stronger pickup a mag called (iirc) Powerlifting USA
    they get into the whole routine of how to gain strength.

15. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

right now im at 233lbs, 6'3" who knows how much body fat im at now. i would guess im about 30 lbs overweight. id really just like to start lifting, get back into a routine in the gym, and then take it from there. ive really only got an hour a day and id like to get the most from those workouts. dont really care about gaining/losing weight, just want to get in shape and get stronger. prob gonna start injesting better foods, stay away from the supplements/protien shakes as long as i can.

ive never been a very good bencher or on the squats, so id like to find a routine that would get me over my previous bests. and maximize my time in the gym.

16. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Here's my two cents. E-mail if you want to chit chat some more.
    1) Eat every two and 1/2 hours if possible. Try to get about 60 grams of protein and two cups of green veggies in per meal (brocolli, green peppers, cucmber, whatever). Don't eat bad sutff (twinkies, pizza, marshmellows)

2) Try to get in 4-5 exercises per workout with about 3 sets per exercise (total of 12-15 sets per workout). Maybe do a MT and THF split with Chest/Back on Monday, Arms on Tuesday, Legs on Thursday and Shoulders Abs on Friday. Be consistan for a w little while and then you can start wratchiting it up. Do a little (shoot for about 20 minutes) at the end of the workout.

3) If you are at 233lbs you are in a great position. I am little dude adn have to fight tooth and nail to gain muscle. I can gain fat easily, but I have to gain like 6-8 lbs of body weight for 3/4 - 1 lb of muscle...So, one workout at a time...good luck.

17. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tips and advise.

18. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Some of the keys that I have learned as far as what works for me... Intense workouts no longer than 1 hour. It sounds like you want to lose fat mostly so you could get away with as much as 2 maybe 3 hours of a strenious workout. I think oyu may be overtraining if you are working out that long. I always got the best results when I would lift light and focus on technique and muscle contraction. Diet was real big for me too. Of course, im about 240 and a bit soft at the moment so take my advice for what its worth. I think i'll start aorking out again this summer.. the fear of being called butternipples at the pool is too much...:haha:

19. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

And don't forget to space out your muscle groups a few days apart. I'm on a three-day cycle right now, and that seems to be pretty good. I just started working out again (1st time in over 2 years :saweet:) Christmas day, and I'm already seeing small results. I didn't realize how much I had missed it... And I'm only working out with a small set of dumbells, and a bicycle (I drive a Ford, can you tell?).

20. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

well, just went and joined a gym.

start training tomorrow.