Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aaf815, Aug 29, 2005.

1. aaf815

aaf815 Registered Member

i already have rancho 4" suspension lift with 35's. i want to lift it more so i could fit some 38's. so how many inches should i lift it so i could clear 38's?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

kind of depends on how you feel about cutting the fenders...... I run 6" skyjacker springs all the way around with a 2" body lift and trimed the front fenders for full flex with 38" swampers. I wouldn't want it any taller

3. aaf815

aaf815 Registered Member

i will cut the fenders but not a lot. is their any other way of lifting beside body lifting?

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

38's will fit under a 4"lift trim some and adjust ure bump stops

5. resurrected_jimmy

If you don't use you truck hard cut the rear edge of the fender and lower the bumpstops to limit uptravel. There are a few other was to get small amounts of lift, like longer shackles and zero rates but other than bigger lift springs and body lifts you don't really have too many options

6. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

cut the fenders :hack:

7. aaf815

aaf815 Registered Member

how big do i need the leaf springs to be so i could fit 38's with out trimming the fender to much?

8. resurrected_jimmy

IMO 6" springs, but its kind of a trial and error thing, find a 38 and stick it on there and decide what you want it to look like..... how much trimming you are willing to do vs. hom much flex you are willing to sacrafice

Remember that a body lift will actually get the body away from the suspension and tires.... less cutting and limiting of the suspension travel

9. aaf815

aaf815 Registered Member

so if i get a 3 inch body lift with the 4" suspension lift i already have. it makes a total of 7 inch of lift. do you think 38s fit if i have a 7 inch lift with some fender trimming? and yea i willing to sacrafice flex.

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Get a zero rate from ORD and move the axle forward an inch and then cut no more lift. Do this you probably won't have to cut much and won't lose much flex either. I also think the back would be fine with oh so minor cutting Also depends on the 38s like swamper radials are not nearly 38" tall on a truck

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

My flexy suspension setup nets about 5" of lift, and I have a 3" body lift and clear 38's with only mild fender trimming. The tire has never contacted fender since I trimmed, even on a pretty healthy 4-rated trail.

Mike

12. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

i have a flipped shackle in the rear, and some pretty HD 4" springs up front.

4" + 3" Body lift and I've only hit the inner fender flexing it-- I think if you have the soft springs, you'll hit a lot , but with the harder springs you should be ok with very minor trimming. here are some pics of my blazer with 38's flexed. also depends if you're going to be hopping curbs or climbing hills...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. aaf815

aaf815 Registered Member

im thinking about putting tuff country or skyjacker 6" leaf springs for the front. which on should i go for? and for the rear ill put a 2" add-a-leaf ? so it will 6" all around. which brand should i get for the 2" add-a-leaf ?

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really like both Tuff Country and BDS. Add-a-leafs will make the rear stiffer. Personally for the rear I'd go ORD 4" Shackle flip + 3" lift springs. I like the rear slightly higher then the front, and on a K5 with the topper on it sits level.

15. aaf815

aaf815 Registered Member

instead of getting a new spring in the front can i add a leaf in the front? because i already have a rancho 4" lift kit springs in the front and i have 4" block in the rear.