Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifts blocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, Mar 25, 2005.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

though ive only been into this hobby for a little over the year, ive been studying different lift options, i bought my truck with a 4" lift block in the back. whats so bad about a block. if they are tourqed to their specification, why are they so bad? thanks a lot.

ps mine truck is a dd.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

In the rear they aren't that bad , but in a front it most definitely could pop out and kill someone . Because of steering forces etc.

Blocks are deemed ok for the rear for budget builds , but still aren't considered "right" .

Preferably springs or a shackle flip is the best way , and it really isn't too expensive :k5: :k5:

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go bigger than 4" blocks on a DD. Do you know what axle wrap is? When you pull out, especially if you are accellerating hard, the forces on the axle from the tires trying to turn can cause the leaf springs to make an S shape. This can cause rear wheel hop. With blocks you create a type of lever that increases the forces on the rear springs making axle wrap worse. If you can afford it go with lift springs or a shackle flip. NEVER run blocks in the front. It is illegal and very dangerous.

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i wasnt planning on putting them out back, and up front was out of the question. i am lifting pretty high, and i just dont want to have a huge spring, bc the more arc on the spring, the harsher the ride. i wanna land somewhere around 12" (its a dd : not a trail rig) and a 12" spring is a terrible ride from what i hear.. ill just use shackles and zero rates to cut the spring size

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

You are running a daily driver with 12" lift?

Good luck :D

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

blocks arent bad atall if you dont do any serious wheeling. alot of ppl on here dont like the block idea because it creates axle wrap and can be kinda dangerous, crawling through tight trails. i say go for it if its just a dd, just invest in some new pairs of jeans because you will be rippin them in the crotch left and right, climbing in. :p: