Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lifts tires......questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Nov 6, 2000.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

i have a 77 cheyv blazer i wonder what would be a good lift and tires for ir i would like to put 40 inch tires but i dont know what size lift would bo good i have a 4 inch sus and 3 inch body right know with 35's but would like to move to a bigger tire what size tires should i put .......38,40,42,44....?

2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Does anybody even look around before they post?

Here is the page's here at coloradok5.com for tire size versus lift. I hope you are already have low gearing or planning on going lower gearing, Acceleration would suck on stock k5 with huge tires. There are many more things to consider than just "How big of lift do I need for these tires?" Sorry If I sound kind of crass but anyone who is thinking to put 40" tires on k5 needs to do some research not ask on a message board since there is soooo much that needs to be considered(And don't forget you state laws).
    http://coloradok5.com/tech.shtml#Tire Fitment Table

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

3. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Re: Does anybody even look around before they post?

quote:

Sorry If I sound kind of crass but anyone who is thinking to put 40" tires on k5 needs to do some research <font color=blue>not ask on a message board</font color=blue> since there is soooo much that needs to be considered

I'd say asking questions on a message board qualifies as "research"... I can't see why you wouldn't.

Wheelin: You might want to shoot "ken" on this board a question or two about this, but I belive he's running some 12 inch Nationals and rubs 39.5s when turning and/or articulating. You might be good with the body lift though. Things to consider when going with that big of a tire are differential upgrades (gears, axles, etc), steering brace (if you don't already have one), cross-over steering), driveline angles, drive train upgrades (are your engine and tranny up to it?), and what you'll be using the truck for (you'll need some serious beef to keep a truck like this together on the trail, but you can get away with some of the wimpier gear if you're just tip-toing around town).

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

4. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Well

Yes a message board would be considered research but you should exhaust other ways of finding out something mundain as how large of lift do you need. I guess maybe you like getting the same question each month. Personally I would rather see people learn how to use the "search" button and keep the posts to stuff that hasn't been asked millions of times and have it's own section under technical. At least that's my two cents.

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Well

Maybe you've seen the same question posted a million times before, but a lot of people that are new to this site haven't. Maybe you should just skim a little more. Nobody is forcing you to read the posts or reply to them. This board is the ultimate in research, and even though you see questions repeated somewhat often I will be the last one to discourage someone from posting just because I've seen the question before.
    If no-one asks the questions we don't get to learn the answers.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Yes but

to many people are looking for quick fix, and don't want to invest the time to find it themselves. They want someone else to do it for them. It's not asking questions over and over again it is the fact that this question can be answered with two clicks of the mouse from the message board. So what is that considered lazyiness or stupidity? And since I have seen regular people many times say do a search rather than answer a question I don't know why you guys are giving me s**t about this :P Anyways it is just an opinion anyways. Again personally I would rather educate people to learn how to find things (especially things easily found) on there own and leave message board to questions not so readily answered. Since this is turning into a flame thread anyways I am not posting anymore after this. :P

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Yes but

Relax Vince, I wasn't trying to flame you. There is not much in the way of flames on this board and I don't want that to change. What I wanted to say I guess is that some of the newer users just want to be involved, not lurking in the background using a search feature. I've played with the search feature a few times and found it to be somewhat frustrating. No offense but I find it easier to just post my question sometimes even though I know the subject has come up before.
    Peace dude.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>I've been here a while and haveseen alot of the same questions asked, hell I'm sure I still ask questions that have been covered here many times before. I'd rather ask questions here than go to another type of message board. Here you will get much more detailed answers instead of just the simple answer you'd get the other way, which in turn teaches more. Not to mention the communication to help get to know everybody here. I hope that explains where some of the other comments are coming from.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

9. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Bruiser: Just lighten up a bit. They're only words on a screen. It's not like the poor guy's calling you up at 1am asking about tire & lift combos [​IMG]. He's new (as you might be too) and just wants a little info. Everything's cool and no flame was intended (not that you'll be replying to or reading this post again). Searches are great, but new info. and opinions surface everyday as new members sign up and existing members continue to mod...

As far as researching goes, your suggestion for him to exhaust all of his resources before going with the big lift tires combo is dead on [​IMG]. Ask people on the internet, ask locals with large trucks, ask various off-road shops, and you'll have a pretty good idea of the ins and outs before you spend a dime!

Oh yeah... [​IMG] back at you! J/K [​IMG]

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Glad to see a forum with experienced members that support rookies like myself. I use the search button occasionally, but nothing helps like a round-robin discussion viewed from many angles.

11. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

One other point to consider is CG (center of gravity). With that much lift and that tall of tire the center of your vehicles mass is higher than normal. Maybe wiser to stay low with the body and get the sawzall out to do some fender trimming. Unlike Weebles, a tall vehicle wont wobble and will fall down (usually on its top),this not only causes sheet metal damage, but inhibits it's ability to drive. Look at some of the pictures of the Y2K5 run and youll see some of them traversing slopes sideways. Steve (admin@coloradok5.com, supreme K5 guru and founder of this site) also published a post as to why he wouldn't run a 12" lift because of the Y2K5 run. In my native state, we would put big tires on but avoid the lift and hack the fenders for mud.

12. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Something not mentioned yet is bushwacker fender flares. If you cut the fenders,these make the truck look much cleaner.

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Another thing you might think about is backspacing. Taller tires are usually wider, and rub on the inner wells if you have blocks in the rear.Just my 2cents.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

14. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

well what do u think would be a good size lift if i do some fender trimming and put big tires in the wheel wells .....6 inch sus . or bigger?