Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boondock, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Boondock

Boondock Registered Member

I'll admit, I am new to the world of lifts. I am a relative novice in fact. Anyone have any advice for me, I have a 4" Rough Country Lift and 3" body lift waiting on me in PA. I am going home for a week to put em on the '86 K5. What tools will I need to finish both jobs? Anything I can't get at a hardware store or auto part store? Is it a two man job? How long will these two take to install? What are the real tricky parts to install that the factory directions don't mention? I'm worried about driving up there, starting these installs, and not being able to drive back down to where I'm stationed a week later. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to raise her up though, I'm tired of being so close to that mud. Thanks.

The only easy day was yesterday.
    Second place is a body bag.

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

It would go faster with 2 people. A big breaker bar is handy. I found it easier to cut off the u bolts. A couple cans of penatrating oil. Spray down bolts a few days before you start and spray them every day. Never did body lift before. Make sure jackstands are tall enough for truck. I took me about 7-8 hrs to put on my lift, front springs and rear blocks with all new shocks.

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Make sure you buy about two cans of PB blaster. Maybe three. Are you replacing the steering arm? I would recommend you do so. If you do, bring along a BFH.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Id say stay away from the 3" body lift all together. Thats just too much and will cause all kinds of body flex problems if you actually wheel your rig. For looks they are great, but looks mean NOTHING on the trail. Its about function. I had a 3" body lift, dropped it to 2" and now I'm running no body lift at all.