Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Liftting Newbie

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BronzeAccord, Nov 11, 2006.

1. BronzeAccord

BronzeAccord Newbie

Hey all,

Ive got a 85 Suburban Diesel 4x4, immaculate condition (im from SoCal). Ive got a question about lifting it. Most 4-6 inch lift kits seemto run anywhere between 400-700 bucks, fo a basic system that is. Most of them come with an OPTION of adding the rear leaf springs, and some come with just rear blocks. My question is what are the benefits of using the rear spring as opposed to using a rear block which is obviously cheaper. Im from SoCal and dont plan on doing any major off-roading, just go on snowboarding trips and whatnot. Maybe go off th trail if i need to, but nothing like you good ole boys seem to be into.

Thanx.

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

For what you want to do, I'd say go with the lift block.

3. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

springs will give you a better ride. if you go with a 6" lift your going to need new longer brake lines, transfer case drop, and a steering arm.

4. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

to original poster: i think that for what you're going to use the truck for, blocks would be fine. but, there is a better chance for saggy butt* with blocks.

what size tires are you planning on running? what made you choose a 6" lift over another height (4" or 8")?

*saggy butt is when the rear of the truck sits lower than the front of the truck.

hope this helps. :wink1:

5. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

In your case blocks would probably be ok, but if you want to be on the safe side you should go with new springs. Actually what i spent today doing was replacing my old blocks with new springs after almost losing a block when it cracked into peices.

6. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

that happened to a kid in my town with a 4" lift. both blocks shattered on him while he was driving down the road. he really beat on that truck.

7. BronzeAccord

BronzeAccord Newbie

thanx for the replies

You know a couple people told me i would need the longer brake lines and all that and some people told me a i wouldnt but ill take it from you guys. So i should get the rear springs, and i should go with like a 4 inch lift to avoid all the extra stuff then?? i currently have 33 inch tires on my truck...

8. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

well. for your case i would say go with a smaller lift and a body lift to keep it cheap... but your a lucky dog and have a diesel... so the body lift is out of the question as they do not seem to make one for your sub. it depends on what size tire you want. i mean 35's fit on a 4" lift. since your going to just be on the road. 6" i wouldnt recommend for your case. mine ended up costing a bundle. then i put it all together only to find that the front driveshaft wasnt long enough. so drop and extra couple of hundred dollars for that. even though they say all you need to do is grind the ears... well i grinded the ears... but that doesnt give you the 2" mine is off by. lol. 4" would be good. hell you trim the fenders a little bit and you could probably fit some 36's under the burb.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

For ease of install I suggest going with a 4" lift kit. I also recommend getting rear springs instead of blocks. It will ride better with new springs. Your springs and bushings are prolly pretty wore out anyhow so you might as well replace them. Your 33" tires will look good with a 4" lift but will look real small under a 6" lift.