Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

light bars and roof racks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lazerus, Dec 11, 2002.

1. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

hello all,
    how many of you have a light bar? how is it mounted (bolted, gutters, custom)?
    have been contemplating a roof rack. has anyone made one? what about mounting tie downs in the corners and just tieing down junk on top? how much will the top hold?

thanks (on a budget /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif-yea, but who aint /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I had a KC lightbar on the top of my K5,but took it off,and sold it. It was attached to the rain gutters,and I drilled a hole in the top of the cab for the wires.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I used to have both! The light bar was a KC lites unit that mountes to the gutters. I kept breaking lights on tress, They would wobble, and the wiring was a pain. I ended up removing them. I also ran a Con-Ferr roof rack when I had the hard top. I liked it. With 9" of lift, It was hard to load the canue up, but I did. The top held my big wooden canue OK. I also loaded it up with firewood once for camping.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I use my 4'x6' Con-Ferr roof rack as my light bar. Works good as it allows me to run front, side, and rear lights. Quite honestly, I use the side and rear lights a lot more than the front ones (then again, I also have front ones on the bumber). I didn't want to drill through the steel hard top, so I ran my wires through the the fiberglass top.

I ran some common ground wires to reduce the bulk of the harness, but individual hot wires for each of the 8 lights. Come by some time and you can check it out.

BTW - It is all for sale VERY soon!

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've got one of those light bars that attach to the gutters. No lights on it yet, but it's great as a mount for my CB antenna.

6. Luehrs1

Luehrs1 Registered Member

Where is the best place to buy one?

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

not sure, but check JC Whitney or 4wheel parts

8. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

www.tomar.com Lots of cool Lights for the top and mounting systems. you can make them pretty easy.