Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

light bars for rain gutter trucks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dodgedude99, Dec 17, 2003.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

who still makes them?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here is the only place I ever see them anymore /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Strangely enough, I have one I got in a trade and I'll never use it. Too bad your not closer...

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure Pep Boys still sells them. I saw one the last time I was in there, but that was quite a while ago.

[ QUOTE ]
    Strangely enough, I have one I got in a trade and I'll never use it. Too bad your not closer...

[/ QUOTE ]

Baddog,

Are you interested in parting with your light bar? If so, what would you take either $$$ wise, or in trade. I only have a couple of things you might be interested in for a trade. But I might have access to something that you might need.

Rick

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

What do u want for your lightbar? I have a buddy thats gonna b in Phoenix soon maybe he can pick it up.

lmk
    Nick

6. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

pepgirls by my doesnt carry them anymore, i know they used to have the Rally brand.
    i was looking thru the Westin catalog they had there, a f350 they had in it had a light bar on it, but no mention of it in the catalog.
    someone has a Cepek light bar on ebay, but its only 49" wide.

7. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

How/where do you run the wires inside the cab for the lights?

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pepgirls by my doesnt carry them anymore, i know they used to have the Rally brand.
    i was looking thru the Westin catalog they had there, a f350 they had in it had a light bar on it, but no mention of it in the catalog.
    someone has a Cepek light bar on ebay, but its only 49" wide.

[/ QUOTE ]

I emailed him and he also has a 57" one.

Nick

9. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Mine was made by KC...AFAIK they still make them. Got it at a Yankee Custom Cap, but I think they're only in New England /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I drilled a hole into the cab near the dome light and ran the wire under the headliner , rear door panel, under the carpet, and up to the switch. The cheap light kit I bought at Autozone did not have a relay, just goes to fusebox. I used a grommet and some silicone to seal the hole. But I am going to get a brushguard and move lights to my bumper asap and run a relay kit for power. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I drilled a hole into the cab near the dome light and ran the wire under the headliner , rear door panel, under the carpet, and up to the switch. The cheap light kit I bought at Autozone did not have a relay, just goes to fusebox. I used a grommet and some silicone to seal the hole. But I am going to get a brushguard and move lights to my bumper asap and run a relay kit for power. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I dont have the balls to drill a hole into the cab. I need an alternate method.

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Don't know if this will work, but on my Burb I ran the wiring for my rear lights just through the weatherstripping in the door. You can see the wiring loom laying on the truck just above the door, but it's not to ugly and it allows me to change it later without a hole to fix. I'm thinking you may be able to run the wiring between the cap and the cab roof the same way. If you stick some clear RTV in the gap at the same time it should seal up rather well and it avoids the drilling.
    Just an idea.

13. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

dodgedude you have a pm. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. sharkman726

sharkman726 Registered Member

I know Carr makes a light bar that holds 5 no drilling.

15. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Yep, Carr does make them for 73-87 K5's. Found a link HERE for a CARR light bar, either black or chrone/stainless for $74.90

16. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Dont drill into the cab. Move back a little and Drill into the fiberglass top. Then use a waterproof electrical fitting to thread into the fiberglass, (its abouta 1/4 inch thick). This way if you ever need to fill it back in you just but some fiberglass bondo in there and wala your back like new,l and no chanch for rust or leaking.

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It didn't take balls to drill hole, just figured with the amount of rain phoenix gets I'd be okay. Besides trucks are meant to be used. And after I move the lights to the bumper perhaps I could use the hole for an xm antenna or something.

18. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

West Marine (and other boating stores) sell waterproof electrical connections. My boat gets more water over the roof than your truck would ever get, and it doesn't leak.

Hull connector

[​IMG]