Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Light bulb upgrades -->>HERE<<--

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Goober, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I was looking for some brighter bulbs for my tail lights and found out that there are a few different options. LED's are cool but a little too expensive for me.

Here is a chart that lists bulbs that are direct replacements for the standard 1157 bulb used in my tail lights:

[​IMG]

Notice that the 2357 is rated at the same brightness as the 1157 on the low filament (driving lights) but it is brighter for the high (Brakes) filament. I think Ill go get me some of the 2357's.

The dash lights, idiot lights and side marker lights are 194's. Here is a chart showing direct replacements for those bulbs:

[​IMG]

The 168 is 50% brighter than the 194, so I'm going to go buy a few packs! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Brighter bulbs without spending extra cash ... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

The only problem I can see is the fact that the brighter bulbs have a shorter life expectancy. Big deal. So what if I have to spend an extra $5/year on bulbs. I think it will be much safer.

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

*puts 150w spot light behind tail lense*

done

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

ok... I may be nuts here, but lemme see if I get this straight.

1157 Low = 3cp
    1157 High = 32cp

2057 Low = 2cp (less than 1157)
    2057 High = 32cp (Same as 1157)

Where is the benefit in the 2057?

I see that the 2357 has some benefit
    2357 Low = 3cp (same as 1157)
    2357 High = 40cp (8 more cp than 1157)

Yes?

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    2057 Low = 2cp (less than 1157)
    2057 High = 32cp (Same as 1157)

Where is the benefit in the 2057?

I see that the 2357 has some benefit
    2357 Low = 3cp (same as 1157)
    2357 High = 40cp (8 more cp than 1157)

Yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct .....I mis-typed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (fixed it)

2357 is the animal you want. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    ok... I may be nuts here

[/ QUOTE ]

But you are still nuts! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

1 CP...isn't anything to get exited about...
    I have used 2057's before...
    they look the same behind the lens.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Good post.

I personally don't like the idea of much brighter lights in the dash. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've noticed that some of the internal dash bulbs tend to "bake" the plastic. FWIW, GM actually did use two different bulbs in the instrument clusters, I think the "fiber optic" one for the lighter was one of them that was brighter.

Anyways, my point was that the brighter lights give off more heat, and that plastic is brittle enough as is. The exterior lights might be ok because of the "socket" design, but the dash ones scare me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (although the marker light sockets in front fenders sometimes melt as well)

I'm not sure if 33% more candlepower equals 33% heat or not, but it will have *some* effect.

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not sure if 33% more candlepower equals 33% heat or not, but it will have *some* effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. I guess I'll find out.

If I end up with molten globs of goo dripping off my truck, I'll post the pics here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just compare the "watts" column. Since watts are heat, that'll help figure it out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

not too much diffference in wattage so not too much more heat will be given off.

10. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    not too much diffference in wattage so not too much more heat will be given off

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like 20% more? I don't think that is a small number. Add 20% to normal engine temps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

If you can get the connectors then just swap in 3157's
    That'll brighten up your day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    not too much diffference in wattage so not too much more heat will be given off

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like 20% more? I don't think that is a small number. Add 20% to normal engine temps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If an engine with 180* thermostat ran 200* I don't think I'd really complain.

13. dyeager535

Math lesson.

10% of 180 is 18.

Doubling 18 (20%) and adding it to 180=?

For those running 195* stats, it would be a bigger issue, but if you don't care about 20% difference, you might as well start with a 195.

Don't forget, an engine is designed to "cool itself", the dash bubls/cluster have no cooling mechanism whatsoever.

I'm not saying it WILL be a problem, but I have known people that have melted the clusters or the plugs because of it.

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    *puts 150w spot light behind tail lense*

done

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Cabelas has a 10 million CP spot light out now!!! Hook it up! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif