Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Light covers stolen, do I need them anyway?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Jun 4, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I went out to check out my K5 and found out the KC Light covers had been stolen on my last trip out. I am pretty sure I know where and who took them but I just want to know, is there a law against having the lights covered. I am not going to buy a new set only to have them stolen. Man that sucks when you stop and talk to the owner of a cool looking '72 Chevy K20 and then go inside the store only to come out and find your light covers stolen by the Jerk! Oh well, someone will just steal them from him someday. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

That sucks Mudzer, as far as a law against not having light covers, here in California there isn't any at least not that I know of, I have mine without the covers look at the attachment, I dont know in your state.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Sorry to hear about the covers Mudzer. People will steal almost anything these days. Mine were stolen a long time ago. I'm not sure about the laws in your state. Here in Colorado, I run my 210watt Cepeks without covers and haven't got pulled over yet (knock on wood).

Shawn
    87 K5

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Check with the law in your area befor you think that just because you haven't been pulled over yet that it cann't happen. Chaka73 in Cal there has been a law for a long time, you are to have your offroad light covered. Another place you can get information about the laws of your state is to go to your public library.. I did get the ticket in Cal. for no covers.$$$$

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

5. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

One thing you should think about without covers your light's could get broken by a rock or something the car in front of you kick's up I whould get some more covers too prevent that.

[​IMG]Inline 6's make a lot of noise[​IMG]

6. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey C'moe that's interesting I'm gonna have to check into that, I've been pulled over a couple times for seat belts or just because the cop didn't have anything to do, and they go around the truck I guess checking to see if anything else is wrong so they can ticket me, and they never said anything about it, matter of fact last week I got pulled over by a moto. cop he ticketed me for not having my seatbelts on and he checked the whole truck and he said that everything was fine except for the seatbelts so I'll check into that thanks C'moe.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

7. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I had no idea there was a law like that anywhere. So if you have the lights installed with no covers it's a ticket.
    Is this even if they are off. If it is that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard..... I mean there are Mercedes and Lexus's that have those quartz lights that'll blind you a mile away. Just my 2 cents....

Wasn't me.............

8. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

9. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I had a friend who got a ticket for not having covers on his lights. The two that I had on my truck never had them and I didn't have a problem. I'm sure that if you gave the policeman a bad time he would give you a ticket for it though.

Getsome

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

if the lights are above the headlights, they must be covered. below the headlights is OK to run without a cover.
    sorry about the theft, mudzer.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes in California a light bar on the roof must have covers on them while on city roads and Hwys.
    When I bought my K5 it had (sold it) a 4 lamp light bar on the roof and the previous owner got pulled over twice for no covers! His solution was to leave them disconnected from power so when he got pulled over they couldn't write him a ticket cuz they were not installed( he wasent that brite of a fella)!!???
    He told me this when I bought the rig from him in 93.
    I don't care too much for thoes big godie light bars so I sold it to a buddy.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well if I remember right the law in Cal. says all off-road light has to be hooded. Another thing is that you are only able to have 8 off-road lights facing in any direction. ( Hooked up or not). The law doesn't say anything about non-funtional lights. I got out of the ticket for to many lights because of my K-5 is registered in AZ. (13 facing forward) And I wasn't an a** hole to the cop eather. He just gave me the ticket and didn't give me the speeding ticket that he pulled me over for. A cop doesn't have to give you a ticket for it but he can!!!

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"