Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lighter wire, where does it go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Dec 9, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Kind of a simple question. My lighter is not working so I looked behind and the wire is not hooked up to any power and looks like its been tampered with, it has some sort of connector a guy rigged up.

Id like to hook this up right, I figure its a simple wire that runs to the fuse box but what spot to I plug it into? and what sort of connector do I use? Do I need to put an inline fuse in?

Any help would be great!!

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

well it gets wired into the fuse slot in the back of the fuse panel, for the cigarette lighter, usually the same as the horn, that would make it fused, so no inline is necessary

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

PO probably used it to power something else, pretty common since it's a constant 12V source. Dumb on trucks new enough to have empty slots on the fuse panel. :(

4. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

your probably right, so to find what wire it connects to I trace it down from the fuse box right? or do you think the wire will be in a wrapped wire harness?

5. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Btter yet, can someone tell me what color the wire is that connect o the lighter because I do see some wires that arent connected in where the stereo fits..

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

zFor some reason I seem to remember it was an orange wire.
    I can't check now since my wiring is all custom now:D

7. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Do you know if it came out of the stereo female harness? Because that what im using :D I just cliped the whole harness off, butted off the neg, dimmer and ran the positive straight to the lighter. Wehn I install a stereo ill just splice off that positive.

By the way, that dimmer wire is the acc. right? so I have all of it I need I think, constant, acc., and neg to hook up my tunes later on :D