Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lighting wire for a tach hookup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, May 22, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how and what wire do i hook the tach wire for the light..(white wire) up? i was told its a brown wire for the parking lights? do i cut the wire and splice the white wire into it or what?

2. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Either that or you could tie into the dash light circuit. If you tie into the dash light circuit you can dim the light in the tach just light the dash lights. Good luck.

Allan

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how do i tie into the dash light circut? wear is it?

4. redneck60164

redneck60164 1/2 ton status

you have to take your dash apart and prob the back of the headlight swith with a test light to find out which wire you want to splice in to. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh man that means i gata take the damn tach and cb of the dash...hell..oh well lol..

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would not cut the wire to tap into it they have special connectors that just clamp onto the wire and tap into it that way the wire stays intact /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

might sound kind of generic, but i just plugged mine in with the fuse for the dash lights. this was over 2 years ago, and i haven't had a problem yet.

8. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

There should also be a dimmed light wire that is used for the radio. That's where I hooked mine. No need to tear the dash apart.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dont pull the dash out, and hook it to the fuse for the headlights..... just shave about an inch of casing from the end of the wire, slip it over one of the fuse prongs, put the fuse back in, good to go

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha well i did put another dash on today anyway so i got lookin under there. i thought about hooking it to the fuse block but i didint want the light on all the time..and wasnt sure how to do it..so i wired it through the fire wall..and spliced it to the parking light wire in the harness. might be a harder way..but it works fine!

11. Fletch79

Fletch79 Registered Member

If you're ever bored, and want to set it up right, it's not that difficult.

Laying on your back, looking up under the dash, you should be able to get at the back of the headlight switch.
    A drop-light helps.
    With your test-light, probe the individual wires, at the contacts, on the rear of the headlight switch.
    With your lights on, dimming the dash lights will also dim your test light when you have the correct wire.

From the time you decide you want to do it, 'til the time the wire is ID-ed should be about 10 minutes, 15 if you have to dig for the test-light.

Next time you're at the auto parts store, or home improvement center, get the 'wire taps' that snap on.
    They'll be little plastic casings with a couple copper teeth inside.
    You lay your tapper on one side, tapee on the other, and snap it closed.
    Done.
    The copper teeth penetrate the insulation and make good contact without hurting the integrity of the wire.
    If you ever decide to remove it, all it takes is a 'once-around' with electrical tape.
    Highly recommended.

When set up correctly, your tach will dim with the dash lights.

I couldn't decide on a good spot to screw down my after market tach, so I put it on the column with a big hose clamp. I have a column shifted automatic, so I set the tach to be vertical when in drive, and left a little slack in the wire. It's a good setup for a 20 minute 'Bubba' job.

Fletch.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea...i dunno ill proboly just leave it the way it is..it workes fine..is a little on the ghetto side but i dun care..it works. i wanted to mount mine on the coloumn but i just couldnt stand having it turning when i shifted. so i mounted it next to the radio on the medal. ill post pics soon..i finally found the cord for my digi camera..so i can actually post some pics of my truck!!

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

On all of my rigs I have just plugged into the panel light connection on the fuse panel. it is a single spade terminal marked panel lights.
    Crimp a female spade connector onto the wire and just plug it in.
    Kinda simple but it does work.
    Unless ya like to tear stuff apart and splice wiring.