Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lights and Mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, Mar 19, 2005.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

hey what kind of lights are you guys running and how are you mounting them?

i really want to buy a roof light bar.

i have a set of procomp stainless 6" 130 watt and a set of procomp 5". they are pretty good, i have them on a pushbar.

i used to have some piaas but i switched to the 5" procomps

[​IMG]

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have too many, i replaced my head lights with two flood lights each and each have 2 bulbs 2-8 bulbs

my high beams with square spots, pointed out wards,

and then two sets of 300 watt spots because the floods were bright but dident go very far, the yellow ones really really help in snow and fog.

switching is real fun too lol

[​IMG]

night

[​IMG]

3. blazerpro79

whats your switch setup looking like?

i want to get like 4 lights up on my roof too, but all my friends are bagging on my saying thats unneccessary having 6-6" lights and 2-5" lights (8 aux lights total) on the front of my truck.

im gonna do it anyway and wiring will be fun :D

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

this is my switch box, fully enclosed made myself, with leds and 30amp relays all inside
    [​IMG]

and here the inside

[​IMG]

you can never have to many lights, just rember that light bars atract trees and other trail obsticals, i ripped a 4 inch tree out with my roof rack once on a atv trail, and i was in there with my sub so it wasent even tight! it was a whole new trail!

there was a guy here that posted up pics of his truck with 10" lights in the grill i want them next!

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The guy with the 10 inchers goes by the name of ilikeitloud. Got 'em from lightforce, pretty sweet setup mounting them behind the grille. Only problem is that I'm gonna put a winch right where those lights would sit. Anyways, my project truck doesn't have any auxilliary lighting yet, but here is a pic of my DD since it kinda qualifies.

junk.jpg

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nice jeep stile lights up by the mirrors, can you reach out and aim them? i want to do that.

yeah likeitloud, that it i just dident feel like looking for it, lol

i wonder about air flow problems with two 10" dinner plates in front of your grill lol

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can't reach out and move them because the mounts are clamped down pretty hard. The mounts are just pieces of flat stock that I heated up and bent. I drilled a hole through the metal underneath the cowl and bolted 'em up. Not hard, pretty cool lookin, and sheer magic at night.

I used to buy into the keep the front of your truck clear and don't block airflow and all that, but honestly, I think as long as there's SOME space for air to come through, you'll be alright. The old boxy chevy bodystyle we all know and love has a lot more room in the grille for air to flow than most other designs, past and present. Heck, around here people put cardboard and anything they can find over their grille to keep the radiator warm in winter. Somebody will probably tell me I'm wrong but oh well, just my .02 and now back to the real topic of the thread.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Im actually thinking about putting a set of these on my truck. http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=SL061 An LMC book I have sittin here on my desk, a yellow & white mid 70's model has one on the drivers side, but unfortunately I cant see how it runs inside the cab, what pillar it goes through. Anyone got a pic of one of these on a truck?

9. blazerpro79

those are really cool, but mounting would be weird.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have seen them on cop cars.

they go through the windsheld piller. i guess you would have to drill a hole through at the right angle, and have some sort of sleave for it to go through.

i have looked at a few cars because i wanted one on my truck still might do it.

but now i amthinking of a different light, if anyone has seen the movie "the day after tomorrow" after the dodge in it crashes he turns on the light bar, and this light flips up from on top of the hood, and pans a bit. I WANT THAT NOW!!!

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I have one of those on my '75. You have to be very specific when ordering, to make sure that you get the correct install kit. The hardware for the pillar is specific to the vehicle. There's a template and a drill bit guide included in the kit. It's kinda scary to start drilling a 1/2-inch hole in the pillar, but the light installs nicely once the hole is properly drilled. :cool1:

12. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

There is another option :whistle:

Have you looked at the remote operated lights?
    They are expensive but I saw one in use and it was pretty slick , the remote had a really long range too.

Just a thought:thinking:

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Do you have a pic of em mounted? Maybe one from the inside & one from the outside? Thanks man.

14. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

nice setup dude... I didnt know what to do so I bought a 1989 olds 88 relay pack that is on the firewall... fits great in my truck.... and used stock bolts to bolt on... also standard relays can be bought at all parts stores and waterproof.... doesnt look too clean yet.. once I get everything wired then I will use the wire looms or whatever they are called.... :cool1:
    I also put my switches where a vehicle with ac would have a vent... :grin:

Relay_Fuses_500.jpg

relays_500.jpg

Dash2_500.jpg

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that is cool!!!!!
    an 89 olds eh? would it have been under the dash then??

thats a nice ay to do it i i had one i would have did that.

i do like mine because it is a little higher up in the cab, and ill soon have all fuses high up thanks to the12voltguy.com.
    and then wil relocat my radio a cb and cchanger to a center celing console so is i dround the truck my electronics wont get wet.

16. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

nahh under the hood of the car... passenger side...
    cool part is 16 fuses.. take the unit apart and draw on each power wire from the fuses.. then you can put the relays in line with the fuses....

plus not only are the relays obtained from any parts place.. but they are water proof too!!!!! and the fuses also have covers.. not water proof but a clickon cover to each set of 8 to keep them clean :cool1:

oh yeah... i got my cb up there.. dont care about anything else....
    I dont care about the cb.. however if you are stuck and cell got drowned.. hopefully the cb is operational!!!!!

headliner1_500.jpg

headliner4_500.jpg