Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lights staying on

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bowtiewrench, May 6, 2005.

1. bowtiewrench

bowtiewrench Registered Member

Well the recent problem with the k5 is that the tail lights are staying on after shutting it off. I havent had much time to check every thing but the headlight and running light switch seems to work fine, not sure on the break pedal switch. Any of you guys ever run into this problem? obviously something some where is getting jumped over and letting power to the lights. Thanks

Alex

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

you may have a faulty light switch with an internal short. I dont have a wiring diagram on hand to trace it out.

You can try pulling the fuse and see if the correct circuit is supplying power to the tail lights.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Step on the brakes after the truck is shut off and the light switch is off. If they get briter(the brake lights come on) then it would be in the headlight switch, and if they dont get brighter than it would be the brake light switch i would think

4. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Usually when I've had this problem in the past, it's been the brakelight switch. Sometimes you can push the pedal down and it will come back and hit the switch right and they'll go out, but come back on again when you go into the house. Had a neighbor with a mercury do that, we replaced the switch and solved the problem. Thier's had actually stayed on so long it melted the harness that plugs into the switch.I'd replace the switch since it's the easiest, and least costly, and try that.Then if they still don't go out then you may have a "bleed over" problem, something's rubbed or got pinched and it's causing current to "bleed over" to the brake lights. Hope this helps,

5. bowtiewrench

bowtiewrench Registered Member

Thanks for your help guys, Im going to get one tommorow.

Alex