Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lights switch and relays

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jester, Jun 28, 2004.

1. jester

jester Registered Member

I have a pair of auxilery (spelling?) reverse lights installed and I installed them by tapping into my reverse lights wire. They work great, but I was wondering if I could put them on a 3 way switch, 1. always on 2. always off 3. on with reverse lights. Does anyone know how I would go about wiring this? Also on my lights on my light bar I have 1 relay hooked to 4 lights. Would it be best to run 1 relay for 2 lights or 1 relay for 1 light? Thanks for any help! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering if I could put them on a 3 way switch, 1. always on 2. always off 3. on with reverse lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I was thinking about the last post i made on this subject and had to change a few things

For what you asked for!
    Things you need:
    -3 position DTDP switch ( I think Im saying this right).
    -0ne relay.
    - 12v Power/Light Wire - Large enough for current and length of run.
    - Relay wire - This wire is a 12v low current wire that is only current is to trigger the relay.

Wiring Relay
    # 30 ---- power 12v constant
    # 85 ---- From the Bottom/left connecter of the switch and another wire to go to the Top/left connector on the switch.
    # 86 ---- ground
    # 87a ---
    # 87 ---- lights

a wire from the backup switch needs to be connected into the Bottom/right terminal of the dtdp switch and 12v power needs to be wired to the Top/right.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also on my lights on my light bar I have 1 relay hooked to 4 lights. Would it be best to run 1 relay for 2 lights or 1 relay for 1 light? Thanks for any help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Need more info!
    Candle watts of each bulb?
    Are you tring to do anything besides light things up?
    What size wire are you going to run for 12v constants power? Length of run from battery to lights?
    Length of time you want to run your lights?
    Ground? Length of run?