Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Sep 23, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a question about hooking up some k&c's. I originally had 2 on the front, i wanted 2more so i went to walmart.. and bought 2 of those 6" offroad lights. I hooked them up and they are DAMN bright like the KC's. Anyways when i have them all on at once they arent as bright and then it blows the 30fuse that is in the circuit. Why does it do this and how should i have them hooked up? I prob need a better battery and high output alternator right? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You probably need to wire them through a relay and use heavier wire.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

The fuse blows because you are pulling too much current through it. One of the main duties of a fuse is to protect wires, that is why it is important to have your fuse rating and wire size matched properly. DON'T USE A LARGER FUSE. If your fuse is "bigger" than your wire it won't blow, it will melt the wire and catch your stuff on fire. It would work good to use (2) relays, 1 per pair of lights, each with thier own fuse. You could use either 1 or 2 switches then to turn them on/off.

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ok cool thanks a lot for the advice!

5. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

You more than likely need a relay. Also, depending on the draw that all your lighting requires; your alternator may not be up to the task. Especially at idle. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif