Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Like guns ?????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Jul 13, 2006.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

We so need a minigun for the department.........................................:D

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that rocks. Dr. Gatling was freakin genius. No matter how cool your gun design is.. and how fast it can fire... it could fire faster with more barrels. Seems like a simple idea now, but it was revolutionary at the time. Its also cool that Gatling guns are uniquely American. Sort of like shotguns... no other force uses them as much as we do in war. The Thunder Chicken was an awesome weapon in Nam. I sure as hell wouldn't be sticking my head up if I was VC guy trying to attack an LZ and that bad boy was firing at me! lol!

j

4. wasted wages

They fire so fast, It doesn't even sound like gunshots,,,,sounds like some kind of machine...and the brass that pours out of it,,,:yikes: :yikes:

Just think of the equal amount of lead pouring out of it also......

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Bbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppppppppppppppppppppp

6. snake383

snake383 Registered Member

hell yeah

i had the distinct pleasure of seeing one of those GAL-17s in action. its absolutely the most heinous thing in the world. gotta get me one

7. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

$52,000 for a SAW sounds a little high, but I can't say I've seen any competitor's prices... :dunno:

10. snake383

sure, there's better

granted the phalanx/cwis are much nastier firepower (saw them shoot too once. it shook a 200 ton ship to the keel and deafened me for an hour), but ya cant put one of them in a truck. as far as a saw for 52,000 dollars goes, who quoted you that? get ahold of FNH manufacturing in Columbia, SC. if you got the papers and stamps they'll hook it up for much cheaper than that.

11. jekbrown

metal storm anyone? nuttin like a million rounds per minute. :grin:

j

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I followed the armament link at the top.

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yes you can......and yes they did.

14. snake383

no sh!t? i gotta see that!

15. wasted wages

HHHHMMMMMM,,,

75 RPS X 60 sec = 4500 Rounds Per Minute.

1,000,000 RPM / 60 sec = 16,666.66 RPS,,,:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

4500 RPM sounds more believeable;)

16. jekbrown

metal storms "million round a minute" gun was a ship-based anti-aircraft / anti-missile system. As a complete system it has never been built... but the system is designed to be an array and individual barrels that would make up such an array have been built and tested so the concept definitely works, its just not deployed. I don't know how many barrels you need to get the million rounds per minute... probably a lot... but it was supposed to fit on a ship without difficulty. At any rate, several projectiles are fitted into each barrel. These projectiles are caseless and are embedded in their own propellent. Electronic fire control allows the entire array (or parts) to fire in incredibly rapid succession. There are no cases to eject, and no mechanism is needed to put shells into a breech while firing. The electronics simply tell the "rounds" which are stacked into the barrel prior to firing, when to go off. The rate of fire is therefore pretty much only limited by how many projectiles you can fit in the barrel and how many barrels you have.

Its a good technology for ship defense. I love the Phalanx, but it is going to be in trouble against russian-style supersonic cruise missiles. I'm not saying it couldn't shoot a missile like that down... but a metal storm system would be better against something moving that fast.

Soviet doctrine for attacking a carrier, for example, was basically to use supersonic backfire bombers (sorta similar in capability to the B1 for the unaware) to launch supersonic cruise missiles in a wave. From wikipedia...

"The Kh-22 used an Isayev liquid-fuel rocket engine, fueled with hydrazine and IRFNA (inhibited red fuming nitric acid), giving it a maximum speed of nearly Mach 2 and a range of up to 400 km (250 miles). It could be used in either high-altitude or low-altitude modes. In high-altitude mode it climbed to an altitude of 27,000 m (88,580 ft) and made a high-speed dive into the target, with a terminal speed of about Mach 3.5. In low-altitude mode, it climbed to 12,000 m (39,370 ft) and made a shallow dive at about Mach 1.2, making the final approach at an altitude over under 500 m (1,640 ft)."

Does anyone who knows more about the Phalanx system than I do believe that it could stop multiple Kh-22s which might be diving on their targets at Mach 3.5? Seems unlikely to the casual observer.

The USSR is dead... but Wikipedia says the Russias have been trying to sell the backfire and related tech to China and India...

j

17. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

AKA the SSN-22 Sunburn......That is why we developed the RAM system

18. wasted wages

J/B..

Now that I have read that,, I kinda remember seeing something like that on a "modern marvels" program,,,something about the round not having a "shell " but more like an electronically fired projectile via a powder charge within the barrel,,pretty amazing stuff.. the rate of fire was unthinkable via a mechanical means..

19. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

On a truck
    [​IMG]

20. jekbrown

:thinking:

educate us non-squidies if you would! :)

j