Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Like new Quadrajet for me please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Jan 23, 2004.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

After some tinkering and a lot of thought (well, not a whole lot of tinkering, its too friggin cold here in Ohio, but I did think a lot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I finally decided I wanted a new carb for my 489 BBC. I really wanted to go with a Q-Jet, since that is what suits my needs (and budget) most, and I can't afford FI yet.

I guess my choices were narrowed down to a remanufactured one by JET, a new Edelbrock made Q-jet, and a friend recommended the Holley truck avenger carb. All of them were pretty pricey. I just didn't have the time, place, and weather to fix whatever the hell makes my carb work good most of the time, but not all of the time.

I can't remember who on this board put me in touch with "carbmike" on www.socalbigdawgs.com, but THANKS! whoever you are! Carbmike built an electric choke 800 cfm Q-Jet for me that looks brand-spankin' new! It was packed extremely well, I don't think more than a week or so passed between the time he received his money and I got the carb, so the turnaround time was fantastic! The guy did a way better job than I expected, and the cost was about half of what a new carb cost.

I won't have the time (or weather) to install it for awhile, but I'll post up and let you know how she runs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif! If anyone is looking for a quality remanufactured Q-Jet, and doesn't want to pay a new carb price on it, Carbmike is the way to go!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I unfortunately cant afford efi yet either. Q-jet will be fine if built right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Edel. makes a performer RPM q-jet that is like 850CFM or close to that. THis may sound really stupid to you but if you don't get off camber much and do mud I would probably run a holley double pumper. Those things are pretty cool... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I ran a Edle. Performer Q-jet 850 CFM on a nice BBC for a long time and it was GREAT ! I liked it a lot better than the Predator carb before it and it had a lot more bottom end and much better throttle response in the lower RPM's .
    Just as a note on a REALLY healthy motor I have found that the Holley's ( Dominator ) performed MUCH better once all the fuel slosh stuff was added on them .

But on a trail rig I really liked that big Q-jet ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Tom

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I too had my Q-jet rebuilt over at Jet Performance. He did an exceptionally well job on it and my truck runs great. I have no regrets at all. I highly recommend him.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Dude I'm in Arizona ..........What's MUD /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

he will be doing (2) Q-jets and (1) TBI for me next week, it's nice to be 1 mile from Jet Performance.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Mike, Jet Performance carbs(Q-Jets) kick ass! I have had two done there and they worked very well. Highly reccomended. Also, they can build a carb to your engine specs. later, Klink /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif