Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Like the new look?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Mar 23, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Well, here it is practically complete after the "1-ton plus" conversion. Will be leaving the highway for its first off-road jaunt this weekend! Latest mods (this week) include: soft top (replaced hard top and roof rack), 2 additional lights on the bumper, ram welded on steering, 205 shifter installed. Can't wait to get some pictures of it somewhere other than on the pavement!!!

[​IMG]

Whatcha think?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

what do i think? its flippin sexy!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

One of the sweetest rigs out there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Looks like you went with a 5 window fasttrac top. How do you like it? Any more pics of the top? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

looks awesome man!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

looks like it will get the job done... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, it's certainly come a long way. I remember when it was totally stock!!

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Yeah I went with the 5 window fast-trac. To me, it didn't make sense to go with the 3 window versus the 5. Visibility is incredible. I have numerous more pics of the top I will have up on my website in a couple of weeks. I am pleased with it so far. Installation was a breeze as well. Now I just gotta figure out where to store the hard top!

9. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

It really looks good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now if it make it off road...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Eric

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Looks darn good to me! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice job Brian!
    How's it to drive around town/freeway with the new setup?
    Just wondering how much the "feel" has changed, and if it seems to wander any more/less with those meats.
    I'll ask how you like it offroad once it gets there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Steering is actually much tighter now. I think the ram, crossover steering, and rebuilt 2WD box all contributed to the improvement over the stock box and setup.

The ram helped the death wobble a lot, as the other fix didn't seem to help too much. I still feel it trying to wobble around 25-35 MPH, but the ram fights it. The faster I go, the smoother it goes. Running unbalanced 42 TSLs is actually suprisingly smooth.

The ride is a little more bouncy these days as I have added a lot of weight to the axle line (1-ton axles, new tires and wheels) while removing a LOT of weight above the springs (hard top, spare tire, roof rack, lights, hi-lift).

It pulls to the right right now for some unknown reason as these are new calipers, but it seems to be somehow related to the right front caliper itself. So far all is well. We'll see how it does on the 2.5 hour highway drive to my favorite offroad spot this weekend. That should tell a LOT!

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

WOW!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Very Nice!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Your Rig is BE-A-UTIFUL!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Very nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Do you come to Barnwell very much??

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. 77k5bogger

77k5bogger Registered Member

Awesome!! That is one badass rig. I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Your rig spent all of last week on my desktop /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    But I'm worried, what happened to the fender flares? I just completed the install on mine. Is your rig also your daily driver?

17. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Eric - Gilmer is my favorite wheeling spot. Since my rig has been down and out for a while, though, I haven't been out there in about 6 months. However, I will be there this weekend with lots of friends! C'mon and join us if you want!

Andrea - I ditched my flares, but never fear. I was very pleased with them in the time I had them and they complemented the look of my truck nicely. I wanted bigger tires but didn't want to go with more lift. That caused me to have to trim the fenders much more radically. That could not be accomodated by the cut-out flares. It is my daily driver as much as possible because it is just so much darn fun to drive! However, I ordered a new GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Short bed 4x4 with the Duramax/Allison combo today in Fire Red. Should have it in about 8 weeks. Once I have it, the Jimmy will probably become a weekend warrior and an occasional driver.

18. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Well that is very reassuring and congratulations on the new truck! That is just awesome!

I know given the choice between my truck and our little '91 Cavalier I always pick the truck. It is fun to drive and very comfortable!

Off to drive it now as a matter of fact

19. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Eric - Gilmer is my favorite wheeling spot. Since my rig has been down and out for a while, though, I haven't been out there in about 6 months. However, I will be there this weekend with lots of friends! C'mon and join us if you want!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really wish I could, I would love to see your K5 in action. I was just their two weekends ago and now I'm trimming my fenders to make room for my new 41" Michelin XLs and regearing my axles. So maybe we could get together later this summer or in the fall. I'll send you a pm when I get it ready to go again. Are you driving to Gilmer this weekend? That's a pretty good drive from the Dallas area on 42s. Good way too break them in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Very Nice man!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif